Best injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this has been debated on here before but didn't see a thread about it so thought I would post a new one. Here is a list of some popular injector cleaners. I would appreciate people sharing their experience and opinions on them. Which do you think do the best at cleaning injectors? Which do you think is the best value? Are there other fuel injector cleaner products you recommend that I did not list?

Seafoam Motor treatment
Marvel Mystery Oil
Gum Out multi system tune up
Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel system cleaner
Royal Purple Max-Clean fuel system cleaner
Techron Complete fuel system cleaner
STP Ultra Fuel System cleaner
STP Super concentrated fuel injector cleaner
BG 44k Fuel system cleaner
Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant with injector cleaners
Lucas Deep clean fuel system cleaner
LubeGard Fuel system booster/cleaner
Liqui Moly Jectron Fuel Injection Cleaner

Last edited:
Are you experiencing a driveability problem that you're trying to correct? The one time I used a fuel system cleaner was on my BMW when I had a rough idle. That ultimately turned out to be a pushed-back pin in an injector connector. Otherwise I've never seen a need nor used any in the many years I've had my cars.

I noticed on your other threads that you've asked about cooling system sealers and leaky valve additives, does this engine have problems?

You didn't list "top tier gasoline"

Switch to top-tier gas exclusively, and run Marvel Mystery oil at the recommended rates (4oz to 10 gallons?) for a while.

Chevron Techron works great for a one-time "Hit" to get things going, but top-tier gasoline has very definite benefits. Make it a priority to use it whenever you can.

I've used Techron complete for years. It's easy to find, and with the BOGO sales, inexpensive.

I've owned FI engines since 1985. I burn Chevron with Techron, and don't have injector problems.

None. More fails than wins.

Ive been running EXxon. Then run some no name (B&H Hampstead - cant smell any ethanol in it last batch). If things get funky I go back to EXxon.

Sometines car runs weird and I unmake and remake the MAF connexion and all is good for a while. So with currebnt car its hard to tell what is a wiring /component issue and what is Fuel quality related.

Why this doesnt set a MIL IDK the LT fuel trims must be way off. Cant get dealer to look at it. They don't want to admit to needing warranty repairs. Typical GM style deny deny deny until a part falls off - then that's the Customers fault somehow.

I used to talk to some BMW nuts at a former job about cars and one of them told me that Techron was the only product in a test summary that he had read (CR?) that actually did anything to clean fuel injectors. This was 10 or more years ago and I'm not sure if that was the only commonly available PEA-based cleaner at that time? Anyway, I use it and other PEA cleaners occasionally, can't say I can point to any particular effect one way or the other POSSIBLY except getting a very strange code from throwing a CEL immediately upon leaving the station when I refilled the tank after a run using an STP FI cleaner with PEA. Certainly may have been a total coincidence, but I think the code was for a fuel level sensor and it caused such an extreme limp mode that my turbo was disabled! I was able to clear it with the Torque app on my phone and my OBD II wireless gadget, but it was no fun at all driving my FXT without the "T". I had to deal with other CEL issues when the car was younger and never had my turbo disabled other than that one time...

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Ive tried em all. Never really noticed anything. BG44k might have done some good in my old Mercedes but I am not sure.

Same here, just run top tier and drive unless your having a problem then clean the injectors properly, not from the fuel tank. I have 31 year old fuel injectors that are doing fine without extra additives, just brand name fuel.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I read the bottles looking for the highest %age of PEA. Last time I used Regane.

Amazon has it for $4.00. Worried about cost? Add it to a fillup of cheap gas and it helps pay for itself that way. I add 1 bottle on last tank of gas before oil change. BTW except for when I add Gumout/Regane, I always use Top Tier.

Can't go wrong with any cleaner that has a healthy dose of PEA. It is by far the king of cleaners and one of the few that have real world evidence of it's efficiency.

Not to be that guy but most upper cylinder lubricants actually contribute to build up in the combustion chamber.

The best injector cleaner available anywhere is an ultrasonic cleaning machine, pm Trav.

If you want to pour stuff in your tank, use 'top tier' fuel and a PEA additive.

I use Redline S1 from time to time in our gasoline powered vehicles because it has the highest percentage of PEA of anything I can find. For diesels, Hot Shot's Secret "Diesel Extreme" is the best stuff I've found. It's by far the best, including Howes, Lucas, and Power Service. I once had a fuel filter "waxing" issue with some summer diesel in cold weather that Power Service 911 helped with. But, that's after regular Power Service had failed to prevent the waxing in the first place.

Quote:
Gumout Regane High Mileage has a nice pricepoint.

Yep. Currently $4.44 on Rollback at WM through August 3. It and Techron CFSC are my two favorites. Got the latter (20oz size) on a nice rebate deal last year, ~$3 a bottle AR iirc.

I've been using Redline SI-1 in both daily drivers. No issues. I've never really noticed a difference, but that's because I never let them get dirty in the first place. I add a bottle to the tank every 5-7k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back