Irrigation Under Valve Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to get some opinions about sludge under the valve covers. I'm doing some engine work on my Ford 5.4 3v. When I removed the valve covers, I noticed more sludge than I expected. I've used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Kreen since I've owned the car, and I don't doubt that it's helped. Since I have the valve covers off, is there any way I can irrigate this? To clarify, I was considering spraying diesel fuel or karosene in this area, and just letting it drain into the oil pan. Is this a possibility? Other ideas? Thanks.

If you've been using a top quality synthetic oil (changed out at a reasonable OCI) and you have sludge then you have a mechanical problem that is at the root of the issue. Please post a picture of what you're seeing.

I've used petrol/2 stroke mix for this when I had the sump off and was physically removing varnish. I think my reasoning was that petrol was a more aggressive solvent.

The 2-stroke was to provide some lubrication, because I originally intended to turn the engine over with the plugs out as an internal flush, but I chickened out of that idea.

I doubt it did much harm since I doubt it got into the oilways and it did flush some varnish fragments out, though it wasn't very effective at dissolving them. Sludge might be different.

I wouldn't do it unless I could swab the sump out afterwards though.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If you've been using a top quality synthetic oil (changed out at a reasonable OCI) and you have sludge then you have a mechanical problem that is at the root of the issue. Please post a picture of what you're seeing.

Not necessarily. Could be historical, and, in my admittedly limited experience, usually is.

Instead of writing the whole thing over..

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4390983/Re:_Focused_cleaning#Post4390983

Let me clarify. I'm the second owner of this car, so I've only maintained it for the short time that I've had it. Under the assumption that the sludge isn't a result of a mechanical problem, my principle question is regarding the safety of diesel or kerosene in this part of the engine. Is irrigation of this area with diesel fuel a safe way to remove the sludge? Thanks.

"Sludge" means different things to different people. The reason I was asking for pictures is to get an accurate view of the issue. You may not really have to do anything other than continue what you're already doing.

309r6dc.jpg

Well yeah I'd say that counts. Take a look at the thread Trav linked, that might be a safe way to try and deal with the issue.

On the other hand if you aren't showing any issues with the engine (low oil pressure, etc.) then just carrying on with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on a relatively short OCI is not a bad approach either.

The 3v 5.4 have known issues with VCT solenoids and phaser issues that can cause sludging, even in well cared for engines. Also not sure if the OP is original owner, could have been a problem from before purchase.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The 3v 5.4 have known issues with VCT solenoids and phaser issues that can cause sludging, even in well cared for engines. Also not sure if the OP is original owner, could have been a problem from before purchase.

Yes that needs to be considered.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
wow, that's ugly

Yes, but there are many, many, many that are much, much worse.

Just try shorter OCI's for a while. I really wouldn't mess with trying to clean all that up.

While it's nowhere near spotless, I don't think it's that bad. Just run shorter oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yes that needs to be considered.

And it has been, since it was already asked and answered.

Originally Posted By: adrianjwalsh
Let me clarify. I'm the second owner of this car, so I've only maintained it for the short time that I've had it. Under the assumption that the sludge isn't a result of a mechanical problem, my principle question is regarding the safety of diesel or kerosene in this part of the engine. Is irrigation of this area with diesel fuel a safe way to remove the sludge? Thanks.

I think its safe, if you remove it afterwards. I doubt it will be effective unless combined with physical removal (eg toothbrush) and you can only reach limited areas doing that.

It might be more effective if the engine is actually run with diesel or kerosene, or a mixture including diesel or kerosene, and people do/have done that, but then the safety (in terms of engine damage due to compromised lubrication) is doubtful.

Last edited:

Couple things that engine didn't like. 1 is not using 5-20 with original cam phaser sensors. Change em out with the Motorcraft upgraded part. Also do PCV while you have the cover off. Not a bad idea to check your chains either. I stayed with 5-20 and did phaser upgrade and pcv early. Mine has been sold to a friend (2004 model) but still a ok. I was doing 5k OCI with MC 5-20 and then doing yearly but not many miles above 5k with M1 5-20.

Thank you everyone for the input. As several members pointed out, there's a connection between sludge and the VCT system, which happens to be why I have the covers off. I will also take the advice of 2004tdigls and BISCUT, and change the PCV. Again, thanks very much to everyone that replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back