Fixing broken Toyota Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have broken the "rubber, vinyl" black plastic ring on my Toyota 2002 4Runner key. You know, the part where the key ring fits through. Obviously, it broke from years of twisting when cranking. Now all of the ring is still there. It just split on the ring part. Is there some way to glue this back? Is there a way to repair it without having to buy another. This is a programmable key with the chip built into the black head part.
Thanks!

I have had good luck on many projects using JB weld. But I would check Amazon for replacement. Just got in couple of fobs for a Ford truck. Maybe your car key is owner programmable? Nix the idea of being owner programmable:(

Last edited:
Try gorilla glue. The brown kind that activates with moisture. Use a pair of vise grips or similar to clamp everything together as it sets. I've been amazed at this glue's strength.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I have had good luck on many projects using JB weld. But I would check Amazon for replacement. Just got in couple of fobs for a Ford truck. Maybe your car key is owner programmable?

Is a 2002 4Runner owner programmable...I'll google and see.

Apparently it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OTCW
Try gorilla glue. The brown kind that activates with moisture. Use a pair of vise grips or similar to clamp everything together as it sets. I've been amazed at this glue's strength.

Polyurethane glues are pretty good

Check youtube to see if there is a reprogramming process for your model year.

I suspect you can use the open/close door and on/off key to program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back