cell phone got hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia phone windows operating system. touched screen for the net Microsoft logo shows up for a second then screen said a virus infected phone and the internet, gave me a number to call. looking for a IT person to answer a question

Your best bet is to use online Chat with Nokia itself. It's free and fast.

Clicking this link will take you directly to the Nokia Support screen. Click the "Chat with us" icon at the bottom:
http://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/support#

I have a Nokia Windows phone also, so I'm interested in any updates you can give for this problem.

There are few to no options here since it's such a small base of users. There aren't really enough for antivirus companies to invest in developing products for it. They always say it's too secure but, that is not true. There will always be a new vector to be exploited such as your browser. Calling Microsoft might be your best bet.

It's pretty difficult to get "hacked", as you put it, without your help. You must have done something to cause the problem, not that I'm accusing you of doing it deliberately.

Visiting a dodgy website, clicking links in eMails (NEVER do that), opening eMail attachments, or downloading a suspect app from the OS vendor's app store are the ways these things happen. None of them can happen without your helping it somehow.

You might want to spend a few hours researching best practices for users of your phone and it's OS.

Without educating yourself, it's bound to happen again. Even when people *are* educated ... every organization that was the victim of the latest ransom-ware attack on desktop systems last week train their staff on best practices, yet someone in each organization did exactly what they were taught never to do ... click on a link in an eMail from an unsafe and untrusted sender. That is the only way to become infected with the wannacry ransom-ware worm.

People really have nothing better to do than to hack into computers and phones? I wish I had that much disposable time on my hands....

Originally Posted By: grampi
People really have nothing better to do than to hack into computers and phones? I wish I had that much disposable time on my hands....

Psychological profiles by law enforcement tells us that the commonest motivator is reputation or credibility; as long as there are Alpha males and females you will have people motivated to stand out amongst their peers.

As for "disposable time", in many cases the hours they spend and the financial return they receive dwarfs actual paid employment, or it *is* paid employment. It's not just "script kiddies" (a derogative phrase that describes someone who copies and pastes code posted online to create simple, but effective malware, but lacks the skill to create original work).

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I see why Windows phone platform has failed and is garbage. That is ridiculous.

[off-topic]
It doesn't help that MS itself does not support much their own devices (updates?)
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It's pretty difficult to get "hacked", as you put it, without your help. You must have done something to cause the problem, not that I'm accusing you of doing it deliberately.

Normal websites get hacked and then they get in through browsers.

It's not done for the fun of it. It's done to extort money.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Normal websites get hacked and then they get in through browsers.

Normal websites get hacked because the admins responsible don't apply updates/patches or they use very poor coding techniques. It's *not* a normal and acceptable thing for a website to get hacked.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I see why Windows phone platform has failed and is garbage. That is ridiculous.

I've had a Windows phone for the last three years.

I think Windows OS failed in the phone marketplace for reasons that have nothing to do with its basic functionality or reliability or susceptibility to malware or any other technical aspect.

I think the Windows OS failed for the same reason every other Microsoft product other than Windows and Office has failed: It's an uninspiring, me-too product with no real advantages over the competition.

Plus, Microsoft is a dull, stodgy brand that doesn't have the "cool" factor of Apple or Android. Microsoft is your dad's brand. Few kids want to own what their dad owns.

Plenty of brilliant folks with advanced degrees sitting in corrupt counties under former soviet union and places like Nigeria jobless and lots of idle time. They get a "job" hacking and not much to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back