Spend my $$. Camaro SS 1LE now, or save for ZL1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody has their own comfort level with regards to risk exposure. Every new or used car I've bought since 1990 has been driven at at least one HPDE; the only consequences have been a bit more tire and brake wear- and more frequent oil and brake fluid changes. With the Lockton Motorsports coverage I'm really not that worried. Sure, incidents do happen, but they are rare(at least at BMW CCA events) and seldom involve more than one car.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Everybody has their own comfort level with regards to risk exposure. Every new or used car I've bought since 1990 has been driven at at least one HPDE; the only consequences have been a bit more tire and brake wear- and more frequent oil and brake fluid changes. With the Lockton Motorsports coverage I'm really not that worried. Sure, incidents do happen, but they are rare(at least at BMW CCA events) and seldom involve more than one car.

Last decade or so has always been the local BMW club guys, they are actually very inclusive and only made funny remarks about my luxury sedan at the first meet. When you hang with experienced drivers they seldom wad anything up and are very cautious about passing. No fear of anything except mechanical failure causing a problem, and that seems rare to me IME.

I am lucky I have two large tracks less than an hour from me. Bremerton Raceway is 15 mins.
Pacific Raceways is 50 mins.

I have always tracked just about everything I have owned.
A bunch of open track days, 1/4 mile stuff, some local auto cross/road race schools. Rare to see stuff wrecked.
I did put my 1998 Z28 into the grass in turn 2 once at Pacific Raceways. I was 23 and thought I was better then the car.
I listened after that.
In a previous life...(married once before and DINK) I had a 10 sec Camaro...straight line stuff.
The key is to remember the car is always better than you, that is to say it will win so don't get stupid.

Now go get that fastest, most desirable car you can get and enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Agreed. And ignore the tut-tutting of the simpering pantywaists who need to reach for a pair of Depends at the thought of owning an entertaining car- never mind driving it the way its designers intended.

Agreed. And ignore the tut-tutting of the simpering pantywaists who need to reach for a pair of Depends at the thought of owning an entertaining car- never mind driving it the way its designers intended.

hahahaha, that was good. Totally agreed, life is too short. Get something that makes it fun to walk out to it and drive...

If only I could afford a 911 GT3 RS, I'd definitely buy one as my daily driver.

19.gif

Buying a 1LE now & bolting on a TVS2300 Supercharger later is an option.

The Magnuson TVS2300 can be bought with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, Covers everything that supercharger can damage.
I'm a Magnuson Dealer, They paid for a new long block on a 2012 Camaro that broke a valve spring that wasn't caused by the supercharger itself, They have paid for several 6L80E rebuilds & Half Shafts. They do not cover Drive Shafts.....Big weak link on 5th gen's, Doesn't seem to be as bad on the lighter 6th gen....Time will tell!!
http://www.magnusonsuperchargers.com/product-p/01-23-62-382-bl.htm

Thanks for the great input, guys. I looked heavily into the Magnuson and Procharger, and I think I've decided to save for the ZL1. The way I figure, I can pay 45k for an SS 1LE, add FI later on for $10k installed w/tune, probably have to upgrade fuel system for unknown $$, exhaust $2k, etc, etc, etc. I might as well save for the real deal. It's my understanding that the ZL1 has forged internals as well as a lot of little upgrades that would have all have factory quality and warranty.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
Thanks for the great input, guys. I looked heavily into the Magnuson and Procharger, and I think I've decided to save for the ZL1. The way I figure, I can pay 45k for an SS 1LE, add FI later on for $10k installed w/tune, probably have to upgrade fuel system for unknown $$, exhaust $2k, etc, etc, etc. I might as well save for the real deal. It's my understanding that the ZL1 has forged internals as well as a lot of little upgrades that would have all have factory quality and warranty.

Yes, the LT4 engine has forged crank, forged pistons, forged powder metal fracture-split connecting rods, and DLC-coated piston pins.

Yeah but you know we old folks take longer to heal up lol.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Yeah but you know we old folks take longer to heal up lol.

I turned 60 in January. Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

The LT1 doesn't have the torque issues that the LS3 did, and the 6th gen is like 3400lbs.

You're also INSANE to think anything with a turbo drives better than a smallblock V8 in terms of instant power. Insane.

The base model 7th gen vette is 3300 pounds. The V8 powered Camaro with driver weighs in at 4000 pounds on the PBIR local scales. Yes, it's lighter than the previous version, which was a solid 4300 pounds with driver and gas. Regardless of how light they claim it is, older Mustangs were under 3000 pounds.

The V8 Camaro isn't even close to 4000 lbs. You're thinking of the 5th gen.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

The LT1 doesn't have the torque issues that the LS3 did, and the 6th gen is like 3400lbs.

You're also INSANE to think anything with a turbo drives better than a smallblock V8 in terms of instant power. Insane.

The base model 7th gen vette is 3300 pounds. The V8 powered Camaro with driver weighs in at 4000 pounds on the PBIR local scales. Yes, it's lighter than the previous version, which was a solid 4300 pounds with driver and gas. Regardless of how light they claim it is, older Mustangs were under 3000 pounds.

The V8 Camaro isn't even close to 4000 lbs. You're thinking of the 5th gen.

Actually the V8 Camaro (coupe) is about 3,695 before the occupant, gas, and the baby-boomer car-show memorabilia in the trunk.... so 4,000 could be on the table. It it was a convertible, it would be 3,965lbs.... so yeah, 4,000 easily with just a trip to the wawa.

Edit: FYI, the 6th gen is only 3,400lbs if you get the four-pop turbo without any extra kit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back