Cataclean Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last fall I tried this additive Cataclean on my 1996 Ford Taurus as it was running and idling very rough with hesitations as I had already done a host of other work plus higher octane fuels to try and solve the issue. This product in my opinion did make a difference after just one use all the issues just seemed to vanish and the car has run better than it has in 2 years. I have added this product to our other cars in the household and I seem to have notice they all seem to run smoother. This product is high as it was $20 when I bought it in the fall and I just paid $26 basically for my recent purchase. I also have added Ceretec to my Impala when I changed the oil just two weeks ago. Just wanted to post this and see if other have used Cataclean .

In a word, yes.
My son has a 2003 Infiniti G35, bought it with one bad converter, and the other was showing signs of going out, I think with the signals from that o2 sensor after the converter, according to my moonlighting tech. We replaced the one converter and I tried Cataclean according to the directions. About a week later, the tech checked the o2 sensor again with his diagnostic tool it was working much better, not perfect but enough that the cel stayed off.

Maybe another product would be just as good, too. Since then, my son uses Chevron Techron every couple months and no more cel's. I don't know if Cataclean would reverse a failed converter, though.

I know that an MSDS is only of limited use, but here's what they claim is in it:

Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) 5-10%
Xylene (mixed isomers) 30-60%
1-Propanol (10-30%)
Acetone (10-30%)

Can someone explain to me how this product can "clean" a cat converter? Based on my understanding of how cat converters work, I don't understand how this could do anything other than maybe clean off an O2 sensor or remove a bit of carbon.

Burns hotter hoping to burn any contamination off. Acetone and xylene are strong solvents to help dissolve contamination as well. Pricey for what you are getting.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Acetone and xylene are strong solvents to help dissolve contamination as well. Pricey for what you are getting.

Assuming you put this stuff in the fuel, I'd have thought very little of it is going to make it to the cat intact.

I'd think the control system is going to adjust the A/F ratio to compensate for the (lower?) fuel value, so I'm not sure it'll necessarily burn hotter either.

Running hotter does help the catalyst. My wife's 2012 Grand Caravan had the P0420 code right after she bought it used. I tried E85, and it went off soon after. It happened again and E85 stopped it again. I eventually had to change the plugs.

Tried it on the truck when it gave me a P0420. Didn't do much but put a dent in my wallet. My circumstance may be different though. I believe my issue was a defective cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back