1998 Jaguar XJ8 doesnt cold start as fast anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed ever since i put chevron techron fuel system cleaner in the near empty tank and filled up with shell premium 93 gas the car dont cold start as fast as it use to.Is it possible the previous owner was using regular gas and now the car is confused? Also i went from 5w30 oil to 10w30. Temps range from 40-70f.

1998 Jaguar XJ8 102k miles. (Premium fuel is recommended for this car)

Last edited:
if the viscosity difference at normal ambient temperatures is enough to cause this, Id suspect that you have a bad battery or starter. Load test your battery first...

I've had no issues with my AJ-V8, so this is a shot in the dark,

but,

On my Aj6 cars, they had two water temp sensors - one for the engine management, and a second for the temperature gauge. If this practice continued into the AJ-V8, and, i don't know that it did, I would be looking for a water temp sensor that reports to the ECM, and I would replace it.

This was a common issue on the AJ6/AJ16 powered cars.

The viscosity and fuel filter have nothing to do with it.

It doesnt start up right away on cold start but after its warmed up i can turn it off and back on and it will fire up fast.

Im thinking that fuel system cleaner and premium gas cleaned alot and started to clog the fuel filter maybe?

first of all
do it "dead" start or do it take a longer tumble of the starter to start?

Most likely its your battery...but since its still starting i wont worry

Last edited:
Now that the temperature went up to 70f today it started faster from before so maybe its the oil cause i put 10w-30 in it before when it was colder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back