SuperTech Synthetic 5-30w, 10k, Toyota FJ 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
I have seen various tests that show Toyota/Honda air filters allow a lot of dirt to pass (25-50% at 20u). Name-brand filters (if they are paper) only allow 1-5% to passthru filtration levels.

You've seen tests on Honda and Toyota air filters? Where?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So, Honda and Toyota make good quality cars and trucks but provide low quality oil and air filters for them? Yup, that makes a LOT of sense to me.

Honda and Toyota have had major recalls (or lawsuits) about various engines (and also transmissions in Honda's case). They are not perfect. Anyway I don't think it's worth debating. If the OP is using an "oiled foam" filter then he will see the silicon/dirt levels drop by switching back to a paper filter, like Toyota originally supplied with the car.

@GMFan,

Again, go to Wal-Mart, take the UPC off the bottle, go to the website, plug it in, click submit and you'll get the suppliers listed on the MSDS(s). http://msds.walmartstores.com That's your evidence. It doesn't get any clearer. Then you have to figure out which supplier services your area. In my area it's Citgo. Searching by name doesn't provide sufficient answers because it brings up MSDS's from previous inactive suppliers. The UPC off the bottle on the shelf reveals current supplier information.

You can do the same for ST brake fluid, transmission fluid, etc.

Last edited:
I think you got your moneys worth out of the SuperTech Synthetic. Just the margins are low for people who run it way past 10K it would seem but I really do not fault it for that.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I have no evidence that different suppliers supply different weights of SuperTech Synthetic, but I have confirmed in the past with VOAs that SuperTech 5w30 Synthetic is identical to Accel Synthetic 5w30 which is made by WPP. The oil may also be identical or similar to Mag1 made by WPP. It is widely believed here that WPP provides all Supertech Synthetic and it is only the conventional Supertech that is spread among multiple suppliers (as evidenced by different bottles in different parts of the country).

https://pqiablog.com/2015-motor-oil-samples-tested/

If you compare 5w30 Supertech Synthetic with Accel 5w30 Synthetic they are identical products.

The Accel and Supertech 5W30s on that page do look quite similar by the VOAs, but they appear to be conventional oils. The Accel is not labelled either way, but the Supertech says conventional on the bottle.
Am I missing something?

IMO tbn numbers don't mean much. I've had Blackstone recommend I go further when the tbn was already down to 1.0. Just a couple of days ago there was a post here on BTOG about how unreliable tbn tests were. I look more at the wear numbers and the viscocity. I'd take this oil out another 2,000 miles without concern.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
IMO tbn numbers don't mean much. I've had Blackstone recommend I go further when the tbn was already down to 1.0

Blackstone are the only people who make that kind of recommendation. PQIA feel that oil should be changed when TBN is 3 and all other oil labs are in that same range.

I look more at the wear numbers and the viscocity.

I agree that viscosity is important because rising viscosity means the oil is oxidizing. Remember that the oil shears first before it thickens. In this case, a KV100c of 10.2 is not because Supertech is shear stable, it is probably because it is now thickening after shearing.

I'd take this oil out another 2,000 miles without concern.

At this point in an extended oci, another 2000 miles is the kind of interval where an oil can rapidly degrade. I wouldn't say it's definite, not even likely to cause any problems. But I'd want to avoid any chance of deposits forming and agree with the OP about changing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back