Scraping/grinding noise from rear after braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took the Liberty out and after slowing from about 50 to 10mph, there was a loud grinding/scraping noise from the back. Got worse if you hit the brakes and then after maybe about a mile of driving, it completely went away. Sometimes when I've parked it I've noticed that there's a scraping noise that sounds like the ebrake shoes engaged slightly but I didn't have the ebrake on those times. I'm thinking they could be related? I don't see any brake dust (i.e. caliper sticking) or any thing visually wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

You may be hearing the pad wear indicators. Did you take the wheels off for a full inspection? You can't tell much about the pad condition without taking the wheel off.

Are there pad wear warning indicators on your vehicle?
Your brake pads could be worn or that metal "indicator" part for lack of a better term is bent and scraping the rotor.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Took the wheels off and pads look good. No wear indicator.

Do you mean the was no issue with the wear indicator or this IS not wear indicator? Either way if I would scuff up the pad material and the rotors and check out the hardware. re-grease and see if that works.

Does the jeep have little drum brakes for E brakes? They could be loose from the backing plates.

Last edited:
No wear indicators on the pads I meant, sorry!

It was after it had been driven for about 10 miles, it was really loud...I know the rust thing you're talking about, just from sitting but that goes away quickly.

Is it possible that the ebrake is getting hung up for some strange reason? It seems to disengage and engage cleanly now, have it jacked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back