15% brake life left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up my Buick from my mechanic and he told me I had 15% of life left on my rear brakes.

First questions is if it were you would you go ahead and replace them now or use them up?

Second, is how many miles at 90% city/10% highway can expect to get with that amount of life left?

Now is a good time. You don't want the caliper pistons sticking out for too long otherwise they can rust and seize.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Now is a good time.

Now is always a good time to do worn brakes. No one can give the OP an estimate worth anything. The best you can do is take the Mechanic at his word, and work from the brake's current mileage and the 15% number. You have enough time to prepare for a good brake job.
Originally Posted By: mclasser
You don't want the caliper pistons sticking out for too long otherwise they can rust and seize.

I'm thinking 99 Buick, these are probably drum brakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pKrRfzPvlc
If this were me, I would consider 15% just enough time to research quality parts, availability, and shop around for a good deal on good shoes. Compare the cost of turning drums locally vs. buying new ones.

The OP lives in snow & salt country. Might as well throw a replacement parts pack on there as well. I find fresh springs easier to install than rusty ones. For GM cars, genuine AC/Delco parts packs are often dirt cheap. Don't forget tiny dabs of brake rated grease on the contact points with the backing plates. Inspect the backing plates for rust-through before hand. Be prepared to replace the backing plates if necessary. Sometimes I've had to dress the contact pads with a file since the old shoes rust-indented them, and tend to lock the shoes in place.

Yes they are drums. He said I could go another 4/5000 miles which would be almost 2 years. I just thought that sounded kind of a high.

If you did the brakes now, would you do them again before you junk the car? I bet, no.

15% is an arbitrary number meant to sound scary, but if you didn't see it before they went back together, you'll have to take him at his word. It could be 15% "to the wear limit" which is a couple mm of lining, or it could not.

But I had glazed rear shoes on more than one car, that also got somewhat miss-shapen. Whatever the problem was, some $12 economy shoes made it feel great again, especially the parking brake. I would do yours just because of the age of your factory shoes.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
How many miles on the car OP?

It just turned 103k.

Right...so since 15% remains you have another 15-18k, if the wear stays proportional. That will give you time to save for the repair.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

It just turned 103k.

Right...so since 15% remains you have another 15-18k, if the wear stays proportional. That will give you time to save for the repair.

So, if he had 206k miles on the car, he could drive another 30-36k miles? Your math is correct, I don't see how it applies to this situation. It said 103k on the car, I did not see anything that said they were the original brakes.

Just picked up my Buick from my mechanic and he told me I had 15% of life left on my rear brakes.

First questions is if it were you would you go ahead and replace them now or use them up?

Second, is how many miles at 90% city/10% highway can expect to get with that amount of life left?

Are they rear discs or drums? You could leave them for a while, but I would get them changed soon. If they are drums then they could go a bit longer. On my wife's 1997 civic I only changed the rear shoes last year at 185,xxx km. They were the original shoes and she does mainly city driving. I didn't see any glazing on these shoes, they was no huge difference once the new shoes were installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1

Are they rear discs or drums? You could leave them for a while, but I would get them changed soon. If they are drums then they could go a bit longer. On my wife's 1997 civic I only changed the rear shoes last year at 185,xxx km. They were the original shoes and she does mainly city driving. I didn't see any glazing on these shoes, they was no huge difference once the new shoes were installed.

They are drums and I think for no more miles I put on this car I'll wear em down a little further. I usually end up taking it in at least once a year for something or other, this time is was hesitating on take off and even dropped out a couple times so I had him clean the sensors and the throttle body, both 3.8's I've owned have done this.

I've only had the car since 86k and I haven't had any brake work done so I suppose they could be factory pads.

Thanks all for the replies.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin

It just turned 103k.

So, if he had 206k miles on the car, he could drive another 30-36k miles? Your math is correct, I don't see how it applies to this situation. It said 103k on the car, I did not see anything that said they were the original brakes.

No OP did not say they were original, but he didn't have to. Experience will tell you that any car with drums in the rear that has to replace the shoes has something very very wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
Duffyjr said:

No OP did not say they were original, but he didn't have to. Experience will tell you that any car with drums in the rear that has to replace the shoes has something very very wrong with it.

..replace the shoes within the first 100k miles that is.... darn short edit time...

Total bill, $170. Here is what he did.

But kits in both cylinders, cleaned shoes, drums, TPS, IAC and throttle body.

Car runs like a top, got a lot of love for these 3.8's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back