CVG flights right over downtown Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple of times we flew in and out of CVG we have gone almost directly over downtown Cincinnati...to the point that we could look down into the stadiums as we went over. Is that a normal thing to fly over urban centers like that? Are there restrictions in certain downtown areas?

I have been halfway-phobic about flying for decades, and have found that the more I know about operations and the way the planes themselves function, the better I feel about putting my fat carcass on a blue vinyl airline seat.

The pilot is checking out the parking lot at the hofbrauhaus to see if it's crowded. After the flight he and his crew will head over and have a beer and schnitzel
smile.gif

It is kinda cool flying over known landmarks...including the Rumpke dump of all things. The couple we flew with were able to take a pic of their house and pool, and they were really excited about that.

Lots of incoming flights come in over my house, and I get a kick out of that too...Identifying the planes and whatnot. They're a heck of a lot quieter than the medical helicopters coming in and out of Mercy West Hospital across the interstate...

By the way, hofbrauhaus is great, but the REAL landmarks in Northern KY are The Party Source and New Riff Distilling. TPS is allegedly the world's largest liquor store, and New Riff is the northernmost stop on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail...and they share a parking lot with TPS.

Last edited:
The TIGRR nav fix is part of the CINCI 7 and TIGRR 2 RNAV arrivals. It's right over the Caesar Creek Lake...

So, draw a relatively straight line from Caesar Creek lake to the airport, that's how those arrivals route traffic. Depending on the landing runway, those arrivals would be in use.

Along that line, along those arrivals, you'll fly right over downtown Cincinnati.

While it might seem low to you - the lowest altitude along those arrivals is 4,000 feet. More than 3,000 feet above the city, and that's well above the minimum for safety, but it's low enough to afford a clear view.

That clear view provides you with one of the cool benefits of a window seat: the ability to see recognizable landmarks from an entirely new perspective.

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted By: FowVay
The pilot is checking out the parking lot at the hofbrauhaus to see if it's crowded. After the flight he and his crew will head over and have a beer and schnitzel
smile.gif

Moreso looking at the "talent" on the rooftop at Rhinegeist.........

I've also noticed on most of my flights back in lately that I get a really good look at the city about 2 out of every 3 times.

We used to live a few miles away from Wright Patterson Air Force Base where there used to be C-5s (a huge cargo jet) based, now replaced by C-17s (still not a small jet). Those can generate some excitement on stormy days with more cloud cover than usual. On those days, they come in lower and lower and can vibrate your house !

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The TIGRR nav fix is part of the CINCI 7 and TIGRR 2 RNAV arrivals. It's right over the Caesar Creek Lake...

So, draw a relatively straight line from Caesar Creek lake to the airport, that's how those arrivals route traffic. Depending on the landing runway, those arrivals would be in use.

Along that line, along those arrivals, you'll fly right over downtown Cincinnati.

There is a 747-400 that comes in every night right along that route, usually between 11:00 and midnight. On some of these stormy and/or windy nights, they tend to take a hard left turn just south of Caesars Creek and fly right over my neighborhood in the northeastern part of the city at scary low altitudes, to the point where my house shakes from the roar, as head to CVG to the east-west runway instead of the north-south. I love when they do this, I used to work on DC8's at ILN and I miss the noise. My friends think I'm weird.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
We used to live a few miles away from Wright Patterson Air Force Base where there used to be C-5s (a huge cargo jet) based, now replaced by C-17s (still not a small jet). Those can generate some excitement on stormy days with more cloud cover than usual. On those days, they come in lower and lower and can vibrate your house !
Nothing like the sound of a BIG military turbine which is not required to have silencing. It's almost metallic.

Pretty standard here in Minneapolis. They make a right turn immediately after takeoff and go directly over downtown.

Lots of yellow Polar Freight 747s overhead, several Kalitta freighters on the ground when we were taxiing out the last time.

Makes me want to run over to Lunken Airport and have lunch at the Sky Galley...watch the little birds come and go.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It's almost metallic.

I know that sound you're referring to. It sounds cool, but also kinda scary.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Lots of yellow Polar Freight 747s overhead, several Kalitta freighters on the ground when we were taxiing out the last time.

Makes me want to run over to Lunken Airport and have lunch at the Sky Galley...watch the little birds come and go.

Indeed. All of the little birds fly directly over my house in Madeira, and I work 3 minutes from Sky Galley on Eastern. It's always good to get up to Alms or Ault Park and watch things come and go.

Some years ago, we were driving on I-70 westbound coming back from Columbus after a meeting.
A C-5 appeared to be making touch and goes and made some very low very steep turns over the interstate.
It was something to behold.
Anyway, these old Lockheeds are very quiet as compared to the 707s, DC-8s, 727s and BAC 1-11s I used to spot at CLE years ago.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Some years ago, we were driving on I-70 westbound coming back from Columbus after a meeting.
A C-5 appeared to be making touch and goes and made some very low very steep turns over the interstate.
It was something to behold.
Anyway, these old Lockheeds are very quiet as compared to the 707s, DC-8s, 727s and BAC 1-11s I used to spot at CLE years ago.

This one has an eerie shriek around :45

The C5s weren't quiet until the C5M engine upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back