Rolling Thunder rally...D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I are planning on riding to D.C. for the 30th annual Rolling Thunder event Memorial weekend. It's been on my bucket list for a few years now and we're looking forward to it. Several friends have been and say it's a really well run event. All the bikes leave the Pentagon parking lot on Sunday morning and a friend said it takes 3 to 4 hours for all the bikes to empty out the lot after the first bikes start leaving for the short 'ride to the wall'. We should probably get to the Pentagon early...LOL! I live only about 300 miles south of D.C. so it should be a nice ride. Has anyone here ever done this ride?

I did it in '04 and '05. The weather is strange down there. It was sunny when we got there , then turned cloudy, then started raining, then turned sunny again. No trees or cover anywhere near the parking lot, except for the porta johns. The pack you in tight wheel to wheel. bikes from all over the country. It was cool to talk with lots of different riders.There was a guy that had a blender hooked up to his rear wheel. He put it on the center stand ,started it up put it in gear to spin the blender. Drinks any where you go.,,

The whole area is covered with riders. The actual "parade" is hard on bikes and hard on riders. Lots of stop and go and it may be HOT. I have gone the last couple of years and ride into town and park to support the parade. Lots of stuff to do besides wait in the Pentagon lot. YMMV. Biggest one day bike event in the world I've heard. I'll be near the Lincoln Memorial and I'll wave to ya!
Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back