Advice on restoring 1921, Winchester Model 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife has her Father's 1921, Winchester Model 12 and I'd like to restore it. I know there are some things you should do and some things you should not do to preserve it's value...but I don't know which is which.

smile.gif

I'd like to replace the rear stock because it's got a big chuck of the wood missing (from the upper, top corner that the buttplate is attached to), probably from having been dropped on a hard surface at one time. Should I try and find an original stock or is a replacement O.K.? Should I replace the upper stock as well?

Any other tips, suggestions, etc., on restoring this classic? What's something like this worth in "average" condition?

Thank you!

Ed

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would leave a ~100 year old Model 12 alone personally.

Can you post pics?

Sure. I'll take a picture or two of it tonight and post them later.

Ed

You can certainly restore an antique firearm to original condition but most times when you do the value plummets like a California mud slide. It's kind of like putting 20 inch rims, hydraulics and a nitrous oxide system on an original 83 Hurst Olds.

I would not mess with it either. If you do get a different stock, try to get an original and from around the same date of manufacture so the color and woood will closely match the fore end.

I have a 103 year old Winchester 1897 from my grandpa...I just keep it oiled and leave it in its well used farmer gun state.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
You can certainly restore an antique firearm to original condition but most times when you do the value plummets like a California mud slide. It's kind of like putting 20 inch rims, hydraulics and a nitrous oxide system on an original 83 Hurst Olds.

This. That is a CLASSIC. I would have a gun smith look at it. Make sure it is functional, and if it needs any replacement parts, have them change it out. Try to find a stock if you want, but keep the old one. It's Ford Model T old, and should be treated as such.

Does it have a damascus (wound steel ribbon) barrel? If it does NEVER fire a magnum shell in it. If it does, use low brass shells (shells that the brass only goes about 3/8 of an inch up the side, they are lower power than magnum shells and are generally used for shooting skeet.

Last edited:
I have a 1917 Model 1912 12Ga. and a 1948 20 Ga. My dad owned both of them. He had a recoil pad installed on the 20 ga. and it killed the value. Please don't do a thing to it except shoot it. Its best passed on "as is"

Last edited:
What are you worried about devalue anyway. Sounds like it's a family heirloom not a investment. I think those old guns look thier best with Nick's and worn metal. If it's not mint, it will never be made again. Enjoy the character and hang it on the wall.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Does it have a damascus (wound steel ribbon) barrel? If it does NEVER fire a magnum shell in it. If it does, use low brass shells (shells that the brass only goes about 3/8 of an inch up the side, they are lower power than magnum shells and are generally used for shooting skeet.

High Brass/Low brass is obsolete information. There are high pressure/magnum shells with low brass. Or even no brass.

Model 12 chambers started at 2-3/4 inches, so you don't have to worry about short chambers like the 20 and 16 ga.

It's a Model 12. There were no Damascus steel barrels. Perhaps you were thinking of the Winchester Model 97.

To answer the original poster's questions...

You can "replace" the stock and keep the original, and sell it all together as a package. The stock is, after all, removable and and can be replaced for resale. This will preserve the value exactly where it is now.

If you can find an original stock in good condition, this is your only option to really restore the lost collector value from the stock damage. However the cost of that original stock will probably make up the difference, unless you wait another several decades for value to continue to go up.

A professional can repair the stock by grafting in like wood and finishing it to match the old wood. The result will be more useful and easier to sell, will change the collector value by nothing (since it is already damaged), but will still cost you the cost of repair. This is a valid option if you intend to use it and enjoy it.

You can put new crazy high end wood on it, along with the forearm. This can increase the value, probably by 1/2 the cost of the crazy high end wood.

There is no such thing as "average" condition. There is the % of bluing remaining, and notes on any other damage. Without that, no estimate can be given.

Two million Model 12's were made, and 1921 was a busy year. Unless it has special FACTORY options (high grade wood, special engraving, etc.), you're not going to retire on the proceeds. We're talking values in the 300-600 range, not thousands. If you can attach historical significance to it (previous owner, use in famous crime, etc.) that could change everything.

1921 is too early for a factory Cutt's Compensator. If it does have a Cutt's that reduces the value, especially because it would be an add-on, but even as a factory option.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

+1. Leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back