YouTube video of coolant in sump not oil, real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank that lady for confirming that coolant and oil are not miscible.

What was that hole that was indicated towards the end of the video--and would/could that have been caused by the coolant being the lubricant for this engine?

Last edited:
Holy smokes.

"I don't think you're supposed to see daylight through the oil pan" LOL on the comment!

That sure was some pretty coolant. I've had the milkshake oil before with a blown head gasket on an old Toyota.

I call [censored] on that. If that stuff had actually been run through the engine long enough to cause catastrophic failure, it would NOT be bright, clean, clear green. It would look like peanut butter.. or mud.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I call [censored] on that. If that stuff had actually been run through the engine long enough to cause catastrophic failure, it would NOT be bright, clean, clear green. It would look like peanut butter.. or mud.
It is kind of hard to take at face value. The plausible scenario to me would be that someone had a coolant leak, let their radiator go dry, then tried to remedy the situation by filling the sump with coolant that settled at the bottom. Then the car would have been towed to the shop. It wouldn't seem that the engine in this car ran with that mix in the sump.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I agree, even driving it a short distance to the shop would have mixed it enough to be a mucky mess.

This video came from Eric O. at South Main Auto. I don't think he would fake a video.

However, it only takes a night of sitting for it to separate like this. The oil cooler went bad in the F-350 and I dumped a bunch oil into the coolant - yet, no coolant in the oil. It was a nasty looking mess. Once it would sit overnight, the coolant would look good with a layer of oil on it.

My Son's first wife (the cute/stupid one) poured a gallon of window washer fluid into the crankcase of her Ford Probe GT.

That killed a nice little car!

Originally Posted By: Kira
The girl in the video needs to find another boyfriend.

thats Hannah, she works at the shop as like an assistant. not the owner of the car and not Eric O's girlfriend.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
We are having smoke blown up our ****

definitely not, South Main Auto is a great shop in New York. Eric O would definitely not make this up for views.

not that he would need to as obviously truth is stranger than fiction.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You guys are full of [censored] if you think Eric O. staged this.

Seriously. I don't think they've ever watched any of his videos. Eric has been making videos forever, he's got enough people subscribed and cars backlogged at his shop, he doesn't need to make stuff up for views.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

Seriously. I don't think they've ever watched any of his videos. Eric has been making videos forever, he's got enough people subscribed and cars backlogged at his shop, he doesn't need to make stuff up for views.

Agreed!

The dude has customers that make the effort to come many states away from his shop to give him business because he is one of the few honest and reasonably priced shops around. Plenty of videos in his catalog of other surrounding shops sending him business because he can figure out the hard problems that most other shops are incapable of figuring out.

One of the better YouTube mechanic channels out there if not the best. Way better of a mechanic than even "Eric The Car Guy" by a long shot.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Fellow Eric O fan. Also a fan of Ivan and his boss Keith.

Ivan has his own business and does occasional work for Keith as a subcontractor. Keith is not Ivan's day to day boss.

Back in the '90's a large Nissan truck with corroded liners used to come in every few days, I'd go out onto the forecourt with a 20 litre bucket and drain off a bucket full of water, and every couple of weeks I'd change the filters. This truck was a water tanker, supplying household water over summer to houses with rain water tanks, working from before dawn into the night. Once the rains came, it was out of work, so I could fit new liners and pistons...too big for our shop, so working outside, in the rain. There was no damage to any engine internals, bearing or crank.

On the other hand, did an engine on a Charade GTti with a blown headgasket, it had run with water in the sump and needed a crank grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back