What beers do our European friends drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
When my dad was in Germany for a stint, he consumed a ton of beer, as it is part of the culture. None of the big names were the beers consumed. Most of the beers served at the eateries that he and the others frequented came from a menu featuring a wide variety of local brews and my understanding from the Brewmaster at a local place here, who travels to Munich to sample various hops frequently, is that this is the common practice there. That each "area" has its own cross-section of small breweries that have their own unique products that taste the way they do because of the water used, where the hops are grown...etc. It is essentially a culture of local micro breweries which serve their surrounding areas. Now, this may not be the case for the large urban centres of course.

I was stationed in Bamberg Germany from 79 to 81 and while the bigger cites had more brand name beers once you got out to the smaller towns all the pubs brewed their own beer in the back.

The only brand name I remember was Kulmbacker, a really good pilsner.

I'm getting old and out of touch. I cannot fathom the hop blast IPAs that are in fashion. Hops is a flavoring, an accent, not an assault on the taste buds.

I have loads of Brewerys with 10 miles.
Timmy Taylors Ale is my local - Bingley Brewery, Landslords is a [censored] fine pint of Bitter and one of my favourites, Saltaire, Ilkley brewerys both good too.
Slightly further from me is Blacksheep at Masham which is my other favourite.
I am a fan of pale Ales too, Marsdens do a good English Pale Ale which is a goood summer/BBQ beer.
I had a pint of Shipmans Pale Ale on the way home (meet my wife whilst kids are at Youth club) just tonight, quite nice.
Boddingtons is a perfectly decent beer, not my favourite, but would never refuse one.
I used to live in Newcastle, but never been a big fan of Newcastle and Brown, but again would never refuse one for free !
John Smiths used to be nice hand pulled, but never been the same since it went Electric.
I usually have a few bottles of Aldi German Larger about for home drinking, I quite like Becks.
I tend to avoid stronger (5% plus beers) as I have to limit my alcohol intake to avoid stress on my Kidneys (Genetic Kidney disease).

Last edited:
Good friend, what do you think of Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout? I enjoy that
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
Good friend, what do you think of Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout? I enjoy that
smile.gif

Never had their stout, but their bitter is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back