2011 Kia Sorento V6 3.5L Magnatec 5w20 7.5k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA bought the car used with 14k miles and has 92k now. I'm in Minnesota so this OCI saw a very cold winter, also a decent amount of short tripping. Looking for feedback. I'm running Magnatec 5w20 and OEM filter planning on doing 7,500 OCI again but thinking about adding a block heater for next winter to minimize the wear from morning starts or changing OIL / grade.

A suggestion. You drive about 15-16,000 miles a year with 7,500 mile OCIs and you live where it gets dang cold in the winter. I'm in a similar situation and I drive more short trips in the winter with many a cold cold start. What I do, is change oil in mid November and early April. This only puts about 6,000 miles on that oil change and I drive 9,000 miles on the summer oil change which is far more highway driving and no extreme cold starts. This might help the engine get through the winter with fresher oil in the engine when it's needed.
I wouldn't worry about this report.

Last edited:
It would be easy to just use a 0w20 instead of a 5w20 to get just a little more fluidity when cold. Should help with those cold starts and wear. Has the same high temperature behavior as 5w20 so thats not affected.
You might get the insolubles down if you use a better oil filter as in the Fram Ultra which could also reduce wear.

My mom had a 2011 Sorento to. Until the 100K mile service came around and it had to be taken into the dealer just to get the spark plugs changed. They quoted a $500-650 bill for that service. Then came the Honda.
Hopefully you can do it your self.

Our experience with KIA has been great, the one KIA dealer we graced one time lost our business forever. Simply awful. My daughter took hers to a different dealer for warranty work though and has had great service.

We have a 2012 with a 3.5 that I have done a couple UOA's on, your al and fe are much higher than ours but I attribute it to the brutal cold starts. The oil itself held up well. Magnatec has been the favorite oil I have tried in our KIA, have run 4 OCI's on it and would still be using it not for my desire to do simple 10k OCI's which I believe would be pushing it for Magnatec.

I love our 11 3.5. I run 6-7k oci on full syn. Car sees lots of short trips in this 100+ degree heat, and same in the 40deg winters. Usually 5w30.

welcome2.gif

The used oil sample is still serviceable and Magnatec oil is stout.
Al and Fe is on the high side majority of which is probably (harmless) corrosion wear .... I wouldn't worry about it other than winter driving pattern.
IDK if there is other oil having add packs of better anti-corrosion wear performance than Magnatec, but it's not a big deal really.

I've been using Castrol GTX synblend (Magnatec predecessor) for several OCI's now in a pre-GDI 2.4L I4 in 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The last UOA which was a mix of 5w20 and 5w30 grades came in with 4 ppm aluminum and 10 ppm iron. The oil was used or 8K miles and 8 months (Feb-Oct) in mixed driving. No super cold starts though as it was mostly NC then. Plenty of short trips. I'm sure Magnatec would have been no worse.

Last edited:
cool thanks for the replies. unfortunately i'm stuck with the OEM filter as its cartridge and FRAM doesn't make an ultra for it. I also think all the filters for this vehicle are made by Mahle regardless of manufacture. I'm thinking next winter I'll go with a Mobil 1 0w20 or Magnatec 0w20 whatever one I can get at Walmart as I don't like ordering oil online.

OP - Everything looks fine - keep doing what you're doing - or make the switch to 0W-20 - just keep it topped off during the run. Your UOA shows no make up oil - was the oil level low at the time of the change? Any make up oil added during the OCI would boost TBN and lower wear metals.

I'm aware that the oil is still 'fine' and 'serviceable here...still in grade, and still has TBN.

But, wear metals are higher than I think they should be - no-one can deny we usually see Al results much lower than this.

It shows there is higher piston wear than there should be, so I think this oil has been 'pushed' a bit further than it should be.

For 5k+ in a harsh winter climate, I think a stouter synthetic should be used.

I was probably a quart low when I changed and purposely didn't add a quart as to get a good read on where TBN would shake out. Next OCI I'm planning on putting in Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy as it appears from PQIA that it has kick but cold cranking viscosity.

So you intentinoally ran your vehicle with 1qt low so that you could test the TBN? I would not have done that. Maybe that's why your wear is higher than average.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
So you intentinoally ran your vehicle with 1qt low so that you could test the TBN? I would not have done that. Maybe that's why your wear is higher than average.

I agree with you, but in some ways I can see the OP's point. At least he got his data points and will hopefully keep it topped off in the future. I always add when I'm half a quart low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back