Daily Driver Rotors and Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a shop near me that allows customers to bring in their parts and they install them for a reasonable rate. I would like opinions on front rotors and pads for the wife's daily driver: 2012 Toyota Rav4

OEM seems to be Akebono and to be honest the performance and life seems to be fine. However, I recall seeing many members being fans of Wagner Thermoquiet rotors and pads. Is this still the consensus?

I just need something that provides a good blend of braking power and longevity.

Thanks everyone.

OE pads are made by Advics for most of the newer Toyota's, not Akebono.

I would get the pads, shim kit and rotors from the dealer. Stay away from the value line pads from Toyota. Buying the rotors directly from Advics is also an option- those are available from Rockauto. I've been really really impressed with the Advics/OE Toyota rotors; they are made in the us or Japan, have a good finish that actually lasts, very low runout and great machining.

Last edited:
Akebono pads are a great choice. Since you have a CUV 4x4, use good rotors like Centric Premiums or Raybestos Advanced Tech. You don't want to get pedal pulsation in only 15k miles.

Last edited:
Another vote for Akebono. They also seem like they don't have a tendency to leave pulsation causing deposits on the rotors, although I can't back that up with anything but subjective evidence.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
The Wagner Thermoquiets have always done well on whatever I've put them on.
This. IMO you can't do better than thermoquiets for OEM replacement pads.

If it's for the wife's daily driver, and the 'proven' product is readily available and reasonably priced, then I'd go with those. My rule is - I'm occasionally willing to cut corners on my own stuff, but I'm not willing to cut those corners or compromise safety when it comes to loved ones. Their safety is paramount.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Another vote for Akebono. They also seem like they don't have a tendency to leave pulsation causing deposits on the rotors, although I can't back that up with anything but subjective evidence.

The ProACTs have left extremely heavy deposits on every vehicle that I have used them on.

When I worked at Akebono we supplied Advics the pads they would put into their calipers. Not sure if this is still the case or not.

Akebono is good, Advics is good, and the Wagner Thermoquiet is also good. Another good pad to consider is the Wagner OEX, designed specifically for trucks/SUV's/crossovers

+1 on the Advics (OE), just a couple of parts, Amazon has the rear rotors also. Check the fit you didn't give the engine size or trim level. EBC make a nice pad and rotor also and definitely worth a look. Akebono are one of my least favorite DD pads, decent performance pads though with all the negative characteristics of performance pads when used on a grocery getter.

https://www.amazon.com/ADVICS-AD1210-Ultra-Premium-Front-Brake/dp/B00CYGWMMC/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=RAV4%7C1032&Year=2012%7C2012&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

https://www.carid.com/advics/brake-rotor...CFdSLswodhiEIBw

https://www.amazon.com/ADVICS-A6R061-Rear-Brake-Rotor/dp/B00U0Y40FW/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1494893570&vehicle=2012-76-1032-20--9-6--21155--1-1--287-1-0&sr=1-5&ymm=2012%3Atoyota%3Arav4&keywords=advics+front+rotors

While I like the Akebono's on my Mercedes, they don't really have a good warranty, I think just 30 days. I used to just get lifetime pads from Autozone and just swap them a few times.

I put Akebono pads and Brembo rotors on my Wife's 2008 Sienna recently. Stops just like before and the Wife is happy. I also used new Toyota shims but in realty, the factory shims were in very good condition and could have been re-used.

I have 55,000 miles on my Wagner ThermoQuiet's and Centric rotors on my Toyota, a Corolla. There are other valid choices.

They developed a squeak a few months ago, I took them apart last month, cleaned out all the rust, put in fresh abutment clips and greased everything again with SilGlyde, and the squeak went away. Braking is firm and positive, with zero shudder.

The pads were still very thick. By the look of them, I'll get another 50K miles. I got 105K out of the OEM pads. (Car has 160K miles).

Quality parts matter. So does installation. Ask the tech for the rotor parallelism and on-vehicle runout measurements of the installation compared to factory specs. If you get a blank stare, go somewhere else, or do it yourself. Instructions are, after all, in every factory service manual. You know, the part that gets ignored because "we use quality parts" and "that stuff always checks out".

I do all my own brake work now.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Why does an 2012 need new rotors?

Miles, measurements?

Almost at 70k. The rotors have been turned once at around 45k. Most of the miles are city driving.

Miles, measurements?

You are not from the "rust belt",
Around here, 5 years from a set of rotors is doing great!

Originally Posted By: cronk

Miles, measurements?

You are not from the "rust belt",
Around here, 5 years from a set of rotors is doing great!

Yes, this.

Sometimes I get more than 5 years out of rotors. My Dakota rotors were rusting holes through the face from the ventilated middle (not drilled or slotted) in 4.5 years. Now I buy coated rotors. That's good for another year or two over the usual 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back