Crickets are people food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google it. They will taste like what you feed them. MMM...Mint flavored crickets. Healthier than beef too. Grow them at home and control their environment totally for purest food source.

Had them in Thailand years ago. Fried up they tasted nice and crunchy with a nutty flavor.

Someone on shark tank was introduced cricket flour a couple of years ago.

Their business is really growing and they are making money.

I tried a variety of bugs at the insect museum in New Orleans a few years ago. I pride myself on eating weird stuff and generally being willing to try anything, but apparently my American sensibilities keep me from enjoying bugs.

At a food festival, I once tried grilled cricket baked in a chocolate-chili-coat. Very crunchy, and very tasty.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Had them in Thailand years ago. Fried up they tasted nice and crunchy with a nutty flavor.

I just did the same in Chiang Mai a couple weeks ago. They were Molé flavoured. I found the body to be a bit soft for my liking, although the extremities were nice and crispy. Really not an exceptional flavour, good or bad. I'd be open to trying something made with the flour, as it would overcome the texture issue.

37.gif

Two summers ago, we grew them to the point that we had nearly enough to make a plate for movie night, but a sudden cold night ended that adventure, last Summer with the cruis, we didn't try.

But I've got the two children geed up to go next summer, and will put a spot in the shed to breed them.

It's really nice having 100+ crickets outside your bedroom window on a summers night.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The elite want to eat steak and have the masses eat insects.

well the reality is that EVERYONE eats a pound or two of insects every year, insect "contamination" is in every food you consume

the class warfare concept is just a phyrric vision

just check out the FDA defect level for cinamon, LOL

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulat...n/ucm056174.htm

Cinnamon, Ground

Insect filth
(AOAC 968.38b)

Average of 400 or more insect fragments per 50 gram

Rodent filth
(AOAC 968.38b)

Average of 11 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - post harvest and/or processing insect infestation. Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta
Significance: Aesthetic

BTW, I have worked as a Health Officer for the last 27 years, I have seen far, far worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back