peak long life

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mechanic just put peak long life in my 2001 grand marquis that originally took traditional green...will this stuff harm my engine in any way even though it says compatible for use in all cars and trucks regardless of make model or year and mixes with any color antifreeze. I have been reading conflicting things on the net about this....I just don't want any problems.

So traditional green would be ethylene glycol with silicates.

Peak Long Life is ethylene glycol with organic acid technology and no silicates.

I don't see what there is to worry about. Peak LL is one of the top selling coolants nationwide and if it was a bad product, we'd know by now.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Well ford specifically says no dexcool and you have a dexclone in it now.

crazy2.gif
Oops... I wish I would have known that before I put it in all my old Fords, even the ones without pressurized systems! I have it in 3 cars right now. I guess I'm just lucky? Now I'm starting to question my whole life...

Dex-Cool is HOAT (organic), but not all HOAT is Dex-Cool. Ford has their own organic formula, too. The Peak should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

crazy2.gif
Oops... I wish I would have known that before I put it in all my old Fords, even the ones without pressurized systems! I have it in 3 cars right now. I guess I'm just lucky? Now I'm starting to question my whole life...
why so hostile? I was only posting what ford says.

Peak LL is a lot like Prestone AMAM-technically a Dexclone, using 2-EHA, but it doesn't seem to gel up or eat gaskets like full bore Dexcool, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Although traditional green (or even G-05/Premium Gold) would be a better choice for an '01 MGM.

crazy2.gif

Here's an article that explains what changes Ford made to their engines before starting to use a Dexcool type coolant and why you shouldn't use it in one not originally equipped.

http://articles.sae.org/8242/

Ed

Note that on this Chart, Ford states that while the 2001 Grand Marquis came with traditional green coolant, if fully flushed, it CAN use Motorcraft Gold (G-05) coolant, which is a HOAT coolant if the old coolant is fully flushed first.

Based on this, while I would not say that peak Long-Life is an IDEAL choice, I don't think it's far enough removed from G-05 to make it BAD for your engine - Just not the best. If it were me, I'd probably just leave it in for a couple years, and keep an eye on the condition/color/clarity.

crazy2.gif

I'm not being hostile! I'm freaking out!

Originally Posted By: smantas
ethan1, how long have you had the peak in your cars ?

I have one Ford that has been running it at least 6 years and 100k. I never have cooling system problems, not even a thermostat
21.gif

Originally Posted By: edhackett

crazy2.gif

Here's an article that explains what changes Ford made to their engines before starting to use a Dexcool type coolant and why you shouldn't use it in one not originally equipped.

http://articles.sae.org/8242/

Ed

Nice link
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back