What is your favorite premium oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The premium oil-filter lineup: Mobil 1 EP, Amsoil Ea15K, Royal Purple, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Purolator BOSS etc.

Which one do you think is the best and why? Are any of these the same oil filter as another one? How would you rate them? Who makes them?

Royal Purple cut a ton of them apart nothing cheap about them and built like a tank you know when your cutting one of them.

Napa Gold
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Napa Gold
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

When I can buy them twice a year for $3.50 each during the NAPA sale, it's the best bang for the buck.

FRAM Ultra. Great build quality and efficiency... and a good price. NAPA Gold would be my #2 choice. I'll probably be sticking with Tough Guard's for a while though because I can't go over 7,500 miles for warranty reasons.

I cut open a Mobil 1 EP filter today. Its a very stout filter and built like a tank. I was a little concerned that when I spread the pleats apart, they were hard and tore at the base where they are glued. They didn't tear in service though. This filter was in service since june of last year and had about 2000 miles on it. The oil was mixed brands of synthetic and conventional, and four different viscosities if that had anything to do with it.

I was at walmart last night and decided to take a look at a Fram Ultra as I had never looked at Fram. I noticed the boxes are all sealed with tape, so I looked around and found an open one. What I found inside was a supertech filter. Some sheister swapped boxes. Once I found one that was open and had an ultra in it, they looked pretty good. I might try them when I run out of my wix filters in my stash.

Chevrolet, per amsoils rating. can't find them though

Toyota, no defects yet seen by me, for a Toyota

Luber Finer, PH477, Seems to be upgraded Champ Labs Delco PF47, for a Chevrolet

That's it.

Ultra or M1.
Both seem to be solid filters with good efficiency and both can often be found at a deal.

Wix XP/Napa Platinum since it's available in more applications than the Fram Ultra. But for 1 year/10k, the regular Wix/Napa Gold is sufficient
smile.gif

If I had a VW with that stupid protruding thread, I'd use the M1-404 since it's included with AAP's oil change specials, and run it the full 15k.

And for cartridge filters, I like to use Mann, Mahle, Hengst, or Purflux. But for a long drain wire-backed, easily Wix XP.

Favorite, probably Wix/NAPA Gold.
Fram Ultra or STP XL are probably right behind it.
The Bosch Distance + also seem to be a good filter, but getting hard to find since Walmart clearanced them. Probably the only Purolator made filter I would use.
But I really don't use a premium filter (unless I find a deal on it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back