Oil drain bolt is rounded off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first time posting.

I bought an '06 Kia Rio 2 months ago and was told the oil was changed not that long ago. I went out to change it yesterday and realized the bolt was rounded off and rusty. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get this thing off? I ordered a new bolt and a pack of washers. I have no idea why they would put the bolt back on like that..

VgCSoXA.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, bolt and washers should be here tomorrow. I just needed some ideas before i tackle it, in case it's really hard to get off...

Would hammering a 6 pt socket on it with a breaker bar be a good idea as well?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How about a 6 point socket?

I tried that first, didn't work. The bolt is supposed to be 17mm but my 17mm 6 pt socket didn't fit..

Last edited:
I would use Irwin Bolt-Grip extractor socket. Lowe's keeps them in stock.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Pipe wrench

Good one!

I keep a six inch baby pipe wrench laying around for stuff like this. Since that bolt has plenty room around it, a pipe wrench should take it off easily.

How it happened: In the past it was over torqued by impact tools, or someone in the past used the wrong size wrench or socket on it causing the tool to slip and round off the fastener.
Why it happened: Stupidity or laziness. Likely both
Why it was re-installed that way: See above
What to do: I'll be another one to say vice grips, especially if you already have them. However the other suggestions will work too.

It really annoys me to see stuff like this. It is not that hard to change oil without rounding off the plug if even a little bit of care is used. And if it is damaged, it should be replaced. They aren't that expensive.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Heat from torch and then wrench of choice

Why would you heat an oil drain bolt? its not rusted in place.. seems unnecessary.

Some vice grips or channel locks will do fine.. or you can grind 2 sides flat and use an open end wrench... or chisel etc.

heat would be my last option.. works good on frozen suspension or brake issues but on an oil drain pan?? no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back