Just changed oil, did something a bit stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in 4 qts, just pouring in from the bottles. That's fine.

Topped it up a bit more with a measuring cup (bottle > cup > motor). I know there's a level on the bottle, it's just always hard to read.

I poured it into the engine from the cup and I realized I forgot to wipe the inside of cup beforehand. There were a few dirt/dust/leaf particulates at the bottom of the cup (the kind of stuff that collects in the trunk). That did not make it into the engine, but whatever else was in the cup did.

I don't think it was much, but just in case, that will be picked up by the filter, right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OCDriver
Put in 4 qts, just pouring in from the bottles. That's fine.

Topped it up a bit more with a measuring cup (bottle > cup > motor). I know there's a level on the bottle, it's just always hard to read.

I poured it into the engine from the cup and I realized I forgot to wipe the inside of cup beforehand. There were a few dirt/dust/leaf particulates at the bottom of the cup (the kind of stuff that collects in the trunk). That did not make it into the engine, but whatever else was in the cup did.

I don't think it was much, but just in case, that will be picked up by the filter, right?

I doubt it will hurt anything. I did this at work using a metal 5quart oil can with spout. When car came back in 5k for oil change the Parts Plus filter caught the pieces which were 3 black flecks of dirt. No worry friend
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
A measuring cup???? Some of you guys are over thinking this! A few ounces over or under filled wont make any difference. I bet you change your drain plug gasket every time too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
A measuring cup???? Some of you guys are over thinking this! A few ounces over or under filled wont make any difference. I bet you change your drain plug gasket every time too.
smile.gif

Haha, I almost did, but the replacement bolt and gasket I ordered looked a fair bit different from OEM, and the OEM still looked pretty good, so I just reused it.

I'm using a measuring cup for the purpose of tracking some oil consumption/loss.

Thanks again guys, I don't think there's another forum on the web that gets replies this quickly. BitOG rules!
grin.gif

smile.gif

EVERY time. Torque it too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OCDriver
smile.gif

Haha, I almost did, but the replacement bolt and gasket I ordered looked a fair bit different from OEM, and the OEM still looked pretty good, so I just reused it.

I'm using a measuring cup for the purpose of tracking some oil consumption/loss.

Thanks again guys, I don't think there's another forum on the web that gets replies this quickly. BitOG rules!
grin.gif

when its down a qt its used a qt. No need for measuring cups.

smile.gif

Don't forget the calibrated torque wrench for the plug.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
smile.gif

smile.gif

Where do we get such men!
ADM. George Tarrant.
lol.gif
34.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Me, too!

Can't remember the last time I changed a drain plug gasket, and even though I own both inch and foot lb torque wrenches, i have never used one on a drain plug. Of course after 50 years of wrenching, my hands/arms are pretty calibrated. LOL

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Meh, that's what oil filters are for, aren't they?

The oil filter will not help if the debris plugs up a return line before it can get to the filter.

smile.gif

smile.gif

As you should. Every fastener in the car has a torque value. Just because people don't know or care about torque doesn't mean it is not important. You can find many examples of quick change oil places that over or under torque drain plugs often with catastrophic results. Using a torque wrench is easy and advisable for most automotive work. I own 4 of them and use them frequently.

I'm always a little paranoid about torquing it a little too far that I'll strip the threads or shear the bolt when it comes time to remove it. I used a torque wrench on the drain bolt for the first time and was surprised that it was spec'd higher than I usually do (25 ft/lbs, my in/lb wrench only goes up to the equivalent of 20 ft/lbs, but it feels plenty tight)

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Meh, that's what oil filters are for, aren't they?

The oil filter will not help if the debris plugs up a return line before it can get to the filter.

It would have gone straight into the sump. Isn't the filter the first stop after that?

But... the plug *is* a bolt
wink.gif

There is a torque spec listed in the Haynes manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
smile.gif

smile.gif

Me, too!

Never change it (gasket) unless it's split. Put nice layer of Permatex Ultra Black around the nice clean threads, screw it in and wrench it hand tight. Never had one back out or leak in 40 odd years...
smile.gif

As far as trunk fluff in a cup, no biggie. Either it's heavy and will settle to the bottom of the pan, or it'll get get filtered ... If it's big enough to see readily, it's a filter item for sure
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back