Dirt bike trans lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some 2 stroke dirt bikes,and am confused about what trans lube is best,as there is the wet clutch issue.

A JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 rated engine oil of the correct viscosity (generally a 10W-40) is likely suitable. You could do better using a motorcycle specific transmission oil that is wet clutch compatible from a reputable company (generally an SAE 80, 85 or 90). The transmission oils won't have the JASO rating since it is only applicable to engine oils, but if the company says it is suitable for wet clutches, it probably is since it is designed specifically for that type of transmission.

I always used straight 30 or 10w-30 and never had a problem.
I don't like oils with lots of moly on a wet clutch.

Yes, as above, almost anything will do. Most Japanese bikes took SAE30, so you could run that or a 5W-30 or 10W-30, being careful if you are in the US, or a light gear oil, 75/90 works well, or ATF. Try them all and use what you prefer. My last 2 stroke was a bit notchy on ATF, so used 75/90.

I use a straight 40 (in a 133cc Yamaha RZR). It seems OK.

ATF seems a very similar application (clutches and gears), so if I was buying specially, or if straight weight oils disappear entirely from the shelves, which seems likely, I'd probably get that.

I have a lot of Azola hydraulic oil and I've thought of using that, but I'm not sure what it would do to the seals.

have had great results past few years using t6 rotella in my swede huskies..very little shavings on the magnet when its swapped out every 5-6 hours.

Anything in motor oil or ATF will work in there.
Gear oil will not work.
I did alot of experimenting with my KDXs and really about anything works but lighter motor oils and ATF fluid worked the best.

I use Atf usually,as the oils used for 4 strokes have friction inhibitors which can make the wet clutches on older['70s] bikes slip. Newer motorcycles have reverse torque clutches to work with slicker oils. Atf is used in many transaxles,so gear wear isn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back