2014 Indian Chieftain - Chevron Delo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report, thenk you for sharing. I just picked up a 2.5 gal jug for my R1 and soon to be mine HD sportster 1200.

Thanks Guys. By the way, I am using a Fram XG7317 filter.

It is interesting they don't make a 50 wt. In SC in the summer, I think I would stick with the 20w-50 for the RK.

Originally Posted By: Spur

It is interesting they don't make a 50 wt. In SC in the summer, I think I would stick with the 20w-50 for the RK.

Yes, it gets HOT in the mid-lands of South Carolina, I wouldnt go lighter. Columbia SC area. Its not uncommon for weeks long streak of 90+ and breaking 100 many of those days. Coming from up north 10 years ago, that is all good with me.
We even more enjoy our trips to the Maggie Valley/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area in the nice cool mountains mid summer. In fact thats how I ended up with the 14 Road King. Road up there on my vstar 1300, Robbinsville then onto Gatlinburg on the second to last day of our vacation saw a Amber Whiskey RK in the Pigeon Forge HD dealer, on the last day, called up in the morning, pouring rain, told them to get the RK ready, road over there, drove out on the RK. Man, I was scared, was never on a Harley in my life, first time in Pigeon Forge, pouring rain, brand new bike, wife on back, mountain roads and headed back to SC. Once we got to i26 the rain stopped, thank god... *L*
Anyway, the RK is great but [censored], it runs hot, cooks my leg, just gutted the CAT under my right foot and today should arrive an XIED, all will be good.

BTW, Im trying an unknown (to most) brand of oil right now, a semi 15/50 diesel oil, Called Mystik JT8. So far feels good, as good as my HD 360 oil which is a really good oil (but dealer priced) Anyway, I posted a VOA on it in the Virgin oils threads. Looks plain Jane, that will be ok if wear is low. We will see. This isnt normally what I do, experiment like this. Im a big Valvoline fan, but this ONE oil truly meets what Harley recommends, which otherwise is impossible to find, except if I go to $11 a quart for Amsoil diesel 20/50

Last edited:
Good to see someone else running a Fram Ultra. The XG7317 is what fits my Honda Civic. I'm running an XG3614 on my '89 Harley. I plan on going 15K with it or as near to that as possible depending on oil changes. Is 15/40 the grade spec'd for your bike? Not that there's anything wrong with that, since I've considered doing the same. Just curious. BTW, nice report.

Last edited:
Harley says to use their 10/40 wt when the air temp is 40 f or lower.So a 15/40 would work in that temp range. I run 20/50 all year round and I ride all winter. Almost 58k miles running Valvoline 20/50 mc oil, and their VR-1 Racing oil. Bike runs as good as it ever did. BTW, I wouldn't run mystic oil in my bike. Not enough of an additive package for my money.,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Yes, it gets HOT in the mid-lands of South Carolina, I wouldnt go lighter. Columbia SC area. Its not uncommon for weeks long streak of 90+ and breaking 100 many of those days. Coming from up north 10 years ago, that is all good with me.
We even more enjoy our trips to the Maggie Valley/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area in the nice cool mountains mid summer. In fact thats how I ended up with the 14 Road King. Road up there on my vstar 1300, Robbinsville then onto Gatlinburg on the second to last day of our vacation saw a Amber Whiskey RK in the Pigeon Forge HD dealer, on the last day, called up in the morning, pouring rain, told them to get the RK ready, road over there, drove out on the RK. Man, I was scared, was never on a Harley in my life, first time in Pigeon Forge, pouring rain, brand new bike, wife on back, mountain roads and headed back to SC. Once we got to i26 the rain stopped, thank god... *L*
Anyway, the RK is great but [censored], it runs hot, cooks my leg, just gutted the CAT under my right foot and today should arrive an XIED, all will be good.

BTW, Im trying an unknown (to most) brand of oil right now, a semi 15/50 diesel oil, Called Mystik JT8. So far feels good, as good as my HD 360 oil which is a really good oil (but dealer priced) Anyway, I posted a VOA on it in the Virgin oils threads. Looks plain Jane, that will be ok if wear is low. We will see. This isnt normally what I do, experiment like this. Im a big Valvoline fan, but this ONE oil truly meets what Harley recommends, which otherwise is impossible to find, except if I go to $11 a quart for Amsoil diesel 20/50

Without trended data exactly how do you think you can decide if wear is low. That's absurd.
XIEDS are an enrichment device. Basically your fooling the ecu to run a richer map however I think in 2014 you've got O2 sensors so that enrichment actually only lasts til the computer compensates. They are junk in the same league as the V&H fuel pak.
Power commander v is what I've gor on mine. Way better unit. You'll void your warranty with those XIEDS but that's your call.
Mines a 106 now. Not much left that's stock harley and I've got it tuned to be rich when into the throttle and once it senses I'm cruising it goes lean.
That lean burn keeps the combustion cgambers incredibly clean. Rich running leaves monster carbon behind. When I went big bore that junk fuel pack had left almost 1/4 inch of carbon on my piston tops in 5000 miles. 25000 miles later my new pit ons are still clean

Forget a junk enrichment device. Get it dynotuned properly. Ultimately it's your bike which you paid top dollar for but you buy junk parts to bolt on to it.
Makes no sense.

[/quote]
Without trended data exactly how do you think you can decide if wear is low. That's absurd.
XIEDS are an enrichment device. Basically your fooling the ecu to run a richer map however I think in 2014 you've got O2 sensors so that enrichment actually only lasts til the computer compensates. They are junk in the same league as the V&H fuel pak.
Power commander v is what I've gor on mine. Way better unit. You'll void your warranty with those XIEDS but that's your call.
Mines a 106 now. Not much left that's stock harley and I've got it tuned to be rich when into the throttle and once it senses I'm cruising it goes lean.
That lean burn keeps the combustion cgambers incredibly clean. Rich running leaves monster carbon behind. When I went big bore that junk fuel pack had left almost 1/4 inch of carbon on my piston tops in 5000 miles. 25000 miles later my new pit ons are still clean

Forget a junk enrichment device. Get it dynotuned properly. Ultimately it's your bike which you paid top dollar for but you buy junk parts to bolt on to it.
Makes no sense. [/quote]

Since this thread is about someones UOA I will keep this short, but for the benefit of others I need to respond.
Your completely wrong on how XIED and VIED works and how the ECM will respond, anyone interested I would just say do your own homework. XIEDs and VIEDs are the most cost effective, SAFE, non intrusive way to increase your fuel ratio sightly without screwing up your engine, as you testify, you have done using another type of device.

As far as the way I use my UOAs, well, once again, should not matter to you.

Last edited:
Spur,

Are you doing a UOA every other change? What is the Indian recommended OCI?

I think we have discussed it before but doesn't Indian recommend an odd viscosity like 20/40?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Spur,

Are you doing a UOA every other change? What is the Indian recommended OCI?

I think we have discussed it before but doesn't Indian recommend an odd viscosity like 20/40?

I am changing oil every 2500-3000 miles. I change the filter every other oil change. May start to go every third change. The oil is cheap and the bike seems to love it. I don't notice any change in shift quality for this interval.

Yes Indian/victory recommends 20-40 oil. 15-40 is close enough and the viscosity stays within grade for my interval. My bike is so trouble free changing oil is about all I get to do.

The Indian Chieftain is the best bike I have owned in 40 years.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

AlarmGuy,

Getting rid of the cat will help. I am from Cola. Lived off of veterans road behind the VA. I am also a graduate of USC. That's why I go by Spur. Believe me I know very well how hot it can get there. But, I love Cola and the wife and I still visit regularly. My wife's Mom is stil living there. Love to go play some golf on Ft Jackson.

Last edited:
Ah, got it, where the Spur comes from.
Sure I know the area around the Veterans hospital, 77, Garners Ferry Rd well. Actually learned this WHOLE state real well, travel around 1k miles a week with work here. Getting to know it inside out.
Moved here 10 years ago from Long Island, NY. Now live up near the Peak Exit 97 off I-26, you must past it every time you come down to visit.
Love the area, even love the heat. To me personally, this year, so far, weather just sucks, just impossible to get any long streaks of dry hot weather on my days off, its really been hit or miss, never remember anything like this but still have a long summer ahead of us. I do know, its seems like much of the country has the same and much worse, today I was expecting sun and heat, got clouds and sun and wind, wondering whats up with the day, again. Dont get me wrong, had some REALLY good weather but where we live, is normally just sun and heat! *L*

Two weeks ago I gutted the cat, one week ago I added XIEDs ... heat issue solved or maybe better said under the certain conditions that my leg would start to burn from the heat of the exhaust seems to be gone, going on my 3rd tank of gas since, so far, so good, as much as I try, have not been able to make my leg so hot that is would turn red anymore.
So far, mo measurable loss of MPG, need more tanks of gas to be certain/proven. From a dead stop in first gear feels every so slightly less throttle and easier super slow speed maneuvers.
Im really happy.
Plan on trying to get a midchange sample off to the lab, to see how this unknown oil is working. I do changes around the same as you, a bit less mileage as I play with different oils and the engine finished breaking in. Once I have more miles and go to an oil I am going to stay with, Ill most likely be at 25 to 3000 changes and filter every other too, started that on my last bike before I traded for this one.

Last edited:
That's a lot of boron. How did the wet clutch feel? I like boron, a lot, just thought in higher concentrations it could play with clutches.

Part of why I chose Delo is it has both Boron and a reasonable amount of Moly. No problems at all with clutch. Both the levels are well below any potential problem.

Boron is a great additive mainly used by Chevron. Most don't even understand what it does.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
BTW, I wouldn't run mystic oil in my bike. Not enough of an additive package for my money.,,

Where did you get this info from?

I run 1qt Amsoil 20W-50 "V-twin" and 2 qts Mystik 15W-50... been doing this for years. I run an older Evo (its 29 years old) so I don't think it's really that hard on the oil (my oil tank temps NEVER go above 200*F)

Fram XG3682 oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back