2007 ML500 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up my new F150 and have had my 2009 F150(124k miles) up for sale on a few websites. I got an offer to trade it straight across for this ML500. My wife would like to drive it, I think. Any issues with this vehicle? known problems? Any insight into this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Stout engine. Stout transmission. With proper maintenance of course. But random electrical faults and issues will leave you on the side of the road many times in the future.

what was the cost of the original ML500? Could you afford to buy that and keep it on the road? Remember, the running costs which are repairs and maintenance would correspond to the original price of the ML500 and NOT the price that you purchase it at.

The 500s aren't that bad. They rarely get the timing chain issues the 350s see, and they are solidly built cars. The 7 speed may be the weak point in the car though, when they came out Mercedes wanted trans services every 40k miles, and most people ignored that. Theres still 300+ hp going through that in a heavy SUV, so that may be worth paying attention to on the test drive. We replace the SAMs pretty often, these are the Signal Acquisition Modules, pretty much the fuse boxes, and they can fail with some odd symptoms. Trunk will auto close but not latch, or trunk will attempt to open without unlatching. Brakes aren't terrible for the price of the vehicle, usually at my shop its around 500 for front pads rotors sensor installed, rears around 425. Unless you have the larger brakes, then its in the 700s in the front. At a discount. Oil leaks at oil separator and cam plugs, thermostats fail regularly, we did 2 this week on an e350 and a c300. Roughly 550 with a belt for the thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what was the cost of the original ML500? Could you afford to buy that and keep it on the road? Remember, the running costs which are repairs and maintenance would correspond to the original price of the ML500 and NOT the price that you purchase it at.

Repair prices are only crazy if you take it to the dealer. Indys are much cheaper. But parts are still expensive even if you buy them online. This is a good site for OEM MB parts, about 30% off list, some dealers even mark up higher than list. Certain parts like rotors have cheaper aftermarket suppliers. In general parts, are probably 2x-3x more than a regular car.

http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/

I also skip the $300 oil change at the dealer, a couple jugs of synthetic oil and filter on sale runs around $25-$40 and I do the oil change myself.

Anyway, that ad didn't post a vin so can't use a vin decoder to see what options it has. Looks like it might have parktronic and the bi-xenons as it does have headlamp washers. But on the E350 they put in headlamp washers even when they had halogens so the only way to tell was with the vin decoder or looking under the hood to see the 25k volt warning sticker.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Run

Agreed. High mileage and known electrical issues are enough for me.

If you can negotiate a lower price, it's economical to simply replace all the electricals you can. The problem though sometimes is that you need a special computer to marry the new electronics to the main vehicle computer.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
If you can negotiate a lower price, it's economical to simply replace all the electricals you can. The problem though sometimes is that you need a special computer to marry the new electronics to the main vehicle computer.

Those Mercedes parts aren't cheap. OP should get a code scanner that will do MB specific codes. I wouldn't bother replacing all the electricals due to the cost. That engine has been around a long time and getting it at the tail end of it's production probably means it's a bit more reliable than the earlier ones. As for marrying the parts, that calls for DAS or Xentry, but you can get knock off systems in the $400-$1000 range. For $400, you can probably get a basic C3 system, a C4 system might be needed for more recent years.

I want to trade my aging Mercedes CUV for your F150 even up?
That alone should tell you something and if you look at market values, the owner of the ML is getting the better part of the deal anyway.
The ML 500 wasn't cheap new.
That they're pretty cheap now should also tell you something.
Just cause it's old and cheap doesn't mean it'll be cheap to own. In fact, that's why they're now cheap.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The ML 500 wasn't cheap new.
That they're pretty cheap now should also tell you something.
Just cause it's old and cheap doesn't mean it'll be cheap to own. In fact, that's why they're now cheap.

It tells you that they have massive deprecation. What it should really tell is that the market is driven by supply and demand. Everyone thinks Honda's and Toyota's are super reliable so that tends to drive up the resale value and some at ridiculous levels. People who buy MB's new tend to want the latest or just dump them and get a new one once their lease expires so it drives the market down. Lots of people are afraid of the repair costs (and some with good reason) so that reduces supply. They can be cheap to own if you're a DIY type and stay away from the dealer. Even Toyota's and Honda's aren't cheap when everything is done at the dealer.

Yeah, and they have massive depreciation with good reason.
A complicated and troublesome vehicle with high repair costs is not many people's cup of tea.
How far has Mercedes strayed from the days when its cars were among the most durable and reliable you could buy from any maker.
Back in the day, people with money bought MBs not because they were flashy but because as long as you had the required maintenance done, they drove like new for many years and miles and were not expensive to own once you swallowed the original purchase price.
Those days are long gone.
And incidentally, every Honda we've owned has been super reliable, but then so were the old MBs we've had.
Can't say the same for most of the recent Benzes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back