techron, short OCI's and black smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 11 Sonata, with the 2.4L GDI engine, I have had problems with pinging since I bought the car with 29k miles.

So, I have ran 93 octane costco gas at almost every fillup, and 3 OCI's with Maxlife 5w30 semi syn, at 3750 miles.

Also have been using chevron techron concentrate at every oil change.

A friend of mine was following me home from work, and said she noticed some black smoke from the tailpipe under hard acceleration. This is a tank of 93 octane that I had techron in, and currently running Synpower 5w30.

Since that day I have been able to run 87 octane top tier fuel with almost no pinging.

I'd say my schedule of techron and frequent oil changes is doing some cleaning in this GDI engine.

At the last oil change, the oil also did not smell like fuel at all, the first two smelled strongly of fuel.

Maybe clogged injectors and possibly some carbon buildup. I'm sure your regimen helped.

If it starts happening again it may be time to pull off the intake manifold and see how much carbon may be lingering. Great job, though!

Blowing carbon, my IS did that before the cleanup.
May I suggest a low noack oil for the GDI nightmare?

On my 2017 Elantra a 20 ounce bottle of Techron is recommended every 7,500 miles if Top Tier not used. Mine in Multi Port. Not as needy for cleaning as the GDI.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Received 3 5-quart jugs of Synpower 5w30 for the next year of service with this car.

Valvoline says 10% noack for the 5w30. I'll keep going at 3750 intervals, the jugs were only $12 each or so.

I have no desire to pull apart the intake manifold in a car with 40k miles on it, sticking with fuel cleaner, top tier fuel, and clean motor oil for now.

Car runs fantastic.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Received 3 5-quart jugs of Synpower 5w30 for the next year of service with this car.

Valvoline says 10% noack for the 5w30. I'll keep going at 3750 intervals, the jugs were only $12 each or so.

I have no desire to pull apart the intake manifold in a car with 40k miles on it, sticking with fuel cleaner, top tier fuel, and clean motor oil for now.

Car runs fantastic.

That's a waste with such a short interval. If you ever look at the progression of the noack volatility testing, % loss is the greatest up front, than tapers off later in the test. (Someone did M1 0w40 test and showed how the % loss happened incremental to minutes, can't remember ) That indicates to me early dumping is not doing any favors in the volatility department.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Black smoke out the tail pipe under hard acceleration is a common trait of turbocharged and DI engines. I would not worry about it. White or blue smoke is what you don't want to see.

+1. I see it all the time on Hyundai & Ford GTDI vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back