Toyota lower consumption with 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter's 07 Camry has the 2AZ-FE engine that has had oil-consumption issues. I've been trying different oils to see if anything would help the consumption, which began about at 80,000 but never reached the recall limit of a quart per 1,000 miles. It was more like 1,500 miles per quart. I got a couple of cans of BG EPR and did treatments on consecutive oil changes (5K OCIs). After the last treatment, I poured in 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w-40 that I got on closeout at Auto Zone. It was about a quarter-inch above the full mark. I checked it after 1,000 miles and it was exactly the same spot. I just checked it again after 2,100 miles and it was dead on the full mark. We'll see the the consumption remains minimal for the remaining mileage, but the consumption is down considerably from other oils.

I am trying 5w40 on my prius to reduce oil consumption and I am trying Pennzoil Plat Euro 0w40 (not sure how different it is from your Ultra) on my truck that leaks oil. Only really put it in their as a good oil, I am replacing seals soon.

Keep us update on the consumption. Might try it on the prius next if the 5w40 M1 TDT doesnt work

I get a kick out of topping up my engines but they don't use enough oil for me to normally even need to pop the hood between changes, although I still check it for fun.

My Buick just barely needs maybe 1/4 quart in 6000 miles

Just curious, what is the oil change history of it?
I have the same engine in the Scion, and hope to avoid this issue.
Supposedly they fixed the oil passage/ring issue in the '12 model (but was told it is included in the TSB/extended warranty).
My plan is 5,000 mile OCI with synthetic oil to hopefully reduce the chance of it.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Daughter's 07 Camry has the 2AZ-FE engine that has had oil-consumption issues. I've been trying different oils to see if anything would help the consumption, which began about at 80,000 but never reached the recall limit of a quart per 1,000 miles. It was more like 1,500 miles per quart. I got a couple of cans of BG EPR and did treatments on consecutive oil changes (5K OCIs). After the last treatment, I poured in 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w-40 that I got on closeout at Auto Zone. It was about a quarter-inch above the full mark. I checked it after 1,000 miles and it was exactly the same spot. I just checked it again after 2,100 miles and it was dead on the full mark. We'll see the the consumption remains minimal for the remaining mileage, but the consumption is down considerably from other oils.

It's the valve-stem oil seals. It will keep getting worse. Why not use the much cheaper 15W-40 if you are in the hot Alabama?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2327558/Wonders_of_valve-stem_oil_seal

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

It's the valve-stem oil seals. It will keep getting worse. Why not use the much cheaper 15W-40 if you are in the hot Alabama?

The 2AZ-FE has a know issue (with an extended warranty/TSB) with high consumption due to a piston ring/oiling defect. The valve-stems are not really a problem at a low mileage.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

The 2AZ-FE has a know issue (with an extended warranty/TSB) with high consumption due to a piston ring/oiling defect. The valve-stems are not really a problem at a low mileage.

OK, I am not sure if higher viscosity helps with the oil consumption through the rings though. In fact, I've read that higher viscosity may lead to higher oil consumption through the rings. If it's the rings, perhaps BG EPR helped?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tt.3020030102/epdf

Unless you're concerned that the oil consumption is going to lead to a damaged engine, I'd just stock up on on-sale 5w-30 oil....it's a nuisance to have to add oil to an engine, but it's cheaper than rebuilding it....that's my plan at least with the same engine/oil consumption.

Last edited:
I know someone with an 07 that the dealer ran a consumption test and ended up repairing the engine. I dont know what was done but its an issue with the 2.4. Have you tried reaching Toyota USA? If I were in your shoes Id debate giving it a shot. How long have you had consumption issues?

Originally Posted By: rainman49

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2327558/Wonders_of_valve-stem_oil_seal

He's using 0w40 because he bought it cheaper than a 15w40.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Funny how experiments work.

Buys oil on closeout - - fixes the problem.

Go figure.

As far as I'm aware, different weight oils shouldn't have such a large effect if the consumption is due to the pistons/rings. They need to be kept clean, particularly the oil return passages, to minimize the amount of oil being combusted in the cylinder. A good air filter with a good seal, oil filter, and a high-detergency oil might be enough to prevent it from getting worse if caught early enough, at least the piston-related issue.

Our 2AZ got the new pistons. It doesn't use as much oil as before and it sounds like a diesel now. The work order was basically: new pistons/rings, new coolant, a tube of Toyota's version of ultra black RTV, 5W20 motor oil, and a filter. Some get new short blocks due to cylinder-wall damage.

Obviously, I don't know whether it was the BG EPR cleaning the rings and oil drain holes in the pistons or the Ow-40 oil that helped. It might be one or the other or a combination. Something helped because consumption is down considerably. I had previously used mainly 5w-30 synthetic. She bought the car with about 70K miles and now has 134K. It now falls outside the recall window because it was put into service more than 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Funny how experiments work.

Buys oil on closeout - - fixes the problem.

Go figure.

You buy some clearance oil and come to really like a certain brand and weight.. and it's either super expensive normally or very hard to find or both!
laugh.gif

From my personal experience I had the same results as the op. No consumption up to 2-3000 miles. Then half full at 4,500 and then at low around 6,000. That's when I changed it. This was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.
I didn't top up because I wasn't going to run the oil for an extended oci until I got the okay from blackstone. They said limit it to 6,000 miles for now and they were spot on. Put some Quaker State 10W30 with Mobil super 5W30. We'll see what happens to consumption in the next 6,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back