GM's 2.8L Duramax - Interview with Chief Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't really mind belts on non-interference engine. But running the high compression in a diesel, they have to be interference.

But if I'm paying such a premium for an engine, I don't want a cost saving measure like a timing belt to show up.

Just tried to configure one and you definitely can't get one on the WT package
frown.gif

Total non issue. I owned a VM 2.8L in a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Replaced the belt according to scheduled maintenance at 100K miles and the old one was just discolored and only slightly worn. Looked like good for another 50K at least. Wasn't all that expensive of a deal. Replaced the idler pulleys and tensioner at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Look at the 3rd picture of Nicola in the article.

What happened to his right hand?

I know right...it looks like it was totally photo shopped out, but the imprint of the hand remains on the jacket and shirt...bizarre indeed...

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I don't really mind belts on non-interference engine. But running the high compression in a diesel, they have to be interference.

But if I'm paying such a premium for an engine, I don't want a cost saving measure like a timing belt to show up.

frown.gif

Total non issue. I owned a VM 2.8L in a 2006 Jeep Liberty. Replaced the belt according to scheduled maintenance at 100K miles and the old one was just discolored and only slightly worn. Looked like good for another 50K at least. Wasn't all that expensive of a deal. Replaced the idler pulleys and tensioner at the same time.

I've read too many stories of "it looked just fine--until it snapped" to believe that. It may well have LOOKED fine, and probably was, but given where the repair bill starts if it skips a tooth--yikes!

Our MDX's belt looked pristine when I replaced it with 93k miles and 8 years on it. I personally think timing belt change intervals are very conservative. That's not a recommendation to drive it until it breaks and see how long that takes, but I do think they're more durable than some people imagine.

My opinion of timing belts changed 180 degrees after I changed our MDX's belt. Like TiredTrucker, I feel that it's a total non-issue.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

frown.gif

I've read too many stories of "it looked just fine--until it snapped" to believe that. It may well have LOOKED fine, and probably was, but given where the repair bill starts if it skips a tooth--yikes!

Hence why I usually follow OEM maintenance recommendations. Until I know differently, my first reliance is on OEM R&D.

Hopefully GM does what Ram does and makes the diesel its own option. You can get the Ecodiesel in any 1/2 ton Ram regardless of option level or configuration.

But I still wouldn't get it. IDK what GM's pricing is but in the Ram its a $4k option. What a waste of money, diesel fuel costs $.70 cents more a gallon than RUG, oil changes go from $35 to $100, fuel filters are pricey, and the emissions system is massive.

For what so you can go from 20mph highway to 28 maybe? The premium you pay for diesel fuel eats up any fuel savings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Our MDX's belt looked pristine when I replaced it with 93k miles and 8 years on it. I personally think timing belt change intervals are very conservative. That's not a recommendation to drive it until it breaks and see how long that takes, but I do think they're more durable than some people imagine.

My opinion of timing belts changed 180 degrees after I changed our MDX's belt. Like TiredTrucker, I feel that it's a total non-issue.

After owning a few DOHC chain drive engines, I agree. 100k belt changes are a breeze compared to some of the other options.

Cool. Hopefully that's the only time you get to look inside one! I like how the DPF is hung right off the back of the turbo, helps it get nice and hot to make regens occur further apart. My Outlander has a similar placement, and even with lots of short trips, it rarely does a regen.

Last edited:
This seems to be my week to talk about cambelts lasting longer these days. Diesels are always interference, and damage will always occur. The Mitsubishi 4D56 has been around the longest, it first came out in the '80's, and is still made today. Belt breakage was common, usually a rocker broke, sometimes a cam cap, sometimes it ripped the cam cap out of the head. I did a 2011 4D56 a couple of weeks ago, 136,000km and cambelt and balance belt showed no sign of age. The belts aren't made of the same stuff they were in the '80's, and will certainly get to the change interval no problem...breakage before replacement time used to be common.

I also take issue with them being an easy job to do - no, not for maintenance that has to be done. Not many are made to be done quickly and easily, the 5 cyl Volvo being an exception - one bolt holding the cover on, no need to remove the crank pulley...that is being designed with replacement in mind. Although it's been a gift to the repair industry, I don't think vehicle owners should be burdend with that much ''maintenance'' costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back