Just replaced my radiator hose and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I had a blowout on my radiator hose. I was able to make it up the hill, shut it off, duct tape the hose, and get it home before it did too much damage overheating. I went to the local parts store, got some clamps and a hose and as I took the old hose off, the "spigot" or whatever the output of the radiator is that the hose hooks on to send coolant to the engine disintegrated inside of the old hose, and I was unable to separate it or repair it.

I tried duct tape and then clamping the hose, but it's practically a flat hole that the hose has nothing to hook onto. The duct tape worked for a couple miles but it's far from any kind of real fix.

It's a 95 Honda Accord and runs like a top but I really hope it's something I can fix besides buying a whole new radiator. Thoughts? Thanks!

A new one is $47 on rockauto. Epoxy won't really stick seeing how you have a clean break.

You'll spend more trying to fix it than replacing the radiator. That's the modern economics of scale.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT: What happened to your Prius?

Wow, you all still remember me? I'm honored! Divorce, she got it, had 250k on it. Dunno if she still has it. I do miss it a tiny bit.

So it sounds like a replacement is the way to go. Ill order a radiator and cross my fingers - never replaced one before or even done a coolant flush and fill. How bad can someone mess it up? I guess it can't be any worse than now where I can't drive it. Did I mention I bought this thing for $ three hundred bucks?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
A new one is $47 on rockauto. Epoxy won't really stick seeing how you have a clean break.

I just priced Accord radiators at Rock Auto- very cheap, rang from $47 to $85. thats a no-brainer- just replace it. The only trick is bleeding it (if required).
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1995,accord,2.2l+l4,1167319,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
So today I had a blowout on my radiator hose. I was able to make it up the hill,

Picky, I know, but whaddya do that for?

Seems to be asking for a head gasket failure, and that'd be a bigger deal than a radiator replacement and probably terminal.

Tsunami or Indian attack in progress?

My radiator failed at 158k miles on my Accord two years ago. I replaced it with a TYC/Koyorad from rockauto. It's held up for the past two years and 20K miles.

So it sounds like a replacement is the way to go. Ill order a radiator and cross my fingers - never replaced one before or even done a coolant flush and fill. How bad can someone mess it up? I guess it can't be any worse than now where I can't drive it. Did I mention I bought this thing for $ three hundred bucks?
laugh.gif

When you drain and refill, there should be a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing to release trapped air; this will save a possible headache from air in the system.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You'll spend more trying to fix it than replacing the radiator. That's the modern economics of scale.

Replace the rad. It's common sense.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Replace the rad. It's common sense.

I agree. Learn from our experience.

I have 100k on a TYC replacement in a Gen 4 Camry which had 200 K on it when the OEM developed a crack in the plastic header tank.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
So today I had a blowout on my radiator hose. I was able to make it up the hill,

Picky, I know, but whaddya do that for?

Seems to be asking for a head gasket failure, and that'd be a bigger deal than a radiator replacement and probably terminal.

Tsunami or Indian attack in progress?

Rush hour traffic at the intersection of a highway and business district. Basically for my own safety with how people drive here.

Wow, you all still remember me? I'm honored! Divorce, she got it, had 250k on it. Dunno if she still has it. I do miss it a tiny bit.

Yes, I also see you have moved from the dakotas. lol.

Certain info sears into my brain for some reason; i can remember stuff from 30 years ago, but not where my socks are.

Last edited:

Yes, I also see you have moved from the dakotas. lol.

Certain info sears into my brain for some reason; i can remember stuff from 30 years ago, but not where my socks are.

Sounds like me... my keys and my checkbook.

Yet, I can tell you the year and number of tracks almost any rock album has, released in the last thirty years!

Btw. Thinking about doing the thermostat too. Is that easily accessible (like, the same area where I can access it without too much hassle) while I'm doing the radiator?

Yes.
Go to Honda and pay the price for an OE thermostat. (Or order it on Amazon or ebay or something)
You won't get the same life out of a parts store reject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back