SV650 Suzuki , Honda cb650r, or BMW f800r?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for lightweight motorcycle and I find Ducati and BMW in best light weight overall. My question is how I know what's the best offer should I give them from MSPR prices, $2k off? Never bought one so please be patient if I don't know nothing about the motorbike prices.

I just got in from riding my 09 SV650 SF. Great nimble bike with a bulletproof motor and Japanese simplicity, but doesn't compare to something offered by Honda or BMW. Honda loves to be innovative, BMW is just top tier. But if you go ask the guys who are die hard Suzuki riders, most will have very good and sensible reasons for sticking with the brand.

As far as haggling -- it'll vary a lot. Places with lots of riders don't seem to have dealerships that haggle on prices -- what you see is what you pay.

Let us know if you pick a specific year/model bike and we can help you gauge a fair price for a new one.

I see you are in TN -- I buy a lot of my parts for my Triumph Tiger from Pandora's European Motorsport which I think is in Chatty.

Between those 3 it's instantly down to 2 for me. Suzy or BMW.
Do you like Japanese styling, VTwin sound and torque, or do you like Euro style and a revving in line twin?
SV650 is a proven, mature design. Put a Bales stud on the engine, and move to the common Honda threaded filter and ride.
BMW is top shelf, will go anywhere, including a few places that Mz.Suzy won't, and be very reliable and comfy doing it.
The aftermarket is rich for both platforms, but with the BMW, you'll find more high end stuff.
Go ride both. The only thing similar between them is two wheels. Then decide.

Last edited:
I love my SV650. One thing to consider is that the suspension needs some work to match your body weight and riding style. Higher-end bikes have higher end suspension.
The engine is incredible. Low end torque and revs easily. Almost perfect manners for Deals Gap.

Get the BMW 800. BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi... these bikes are something special. Even a Royal Enfield is something special in it's own dog-slow kind of way. Asian bikes just seem so appliance-like, kind of soul-less.

More money than know what to do with and want something unique, rare, and American, there is Motus.

I have an F800S that I bought in spring of '07. Very versatile bike. I've ridden it at track days and toured with it 2-up with factory luggage. I've even ridden it off road. Not real fast, but fast enough, not real sporty, but sporty enough, not super comfortable, but comfortable enough...you get the idea. Good fuel economy, easy maintenance. I would expect the R to be even better as an all around bike.

As far as dealing goes, I'd try to angle on accessories and/or riding gear, as opposed the price paid for the bike. BMW accessories are spendy, but really good stuff that you're likely going to want.

The SV would be a fine bike, too.

Originally Posted By: WANG
I have an F800S that I bought in spring of '07. Very versatile bike. I've ridden it at track days and toured with it 2-up with factory luggage. I've even ridden it off road. Not real fast, but fast enough, not real sporty, but sporty enough, not super comfortable, but comfortable enough...you get the idea. Good fuel economy, easy maintenance. I would expect the R to be even better as an all around bike.

I've ridden a few BMW parallel twin bikes and the F800R was the only one of them that I'd describe as fun.

Still it's in a competitive class, and while I think I could live with that engine, most other modern multi-cylinder engines are more pleasant.

I think it comes better setup than some competing bikes, and it's easier to get a demo ride on it than on its Japanese competitors to see if it will work for you. But if it won't, it's easier to upgrade brakes and suspension on e.g. an FZ07 than to make the engine smoother on the F800.

I would love to get the BMW f800r ,but I can't find it at the BMW motorcycle dealership. I did go to Honda dealership and they didn't have any cb650r. I spoke with the salesman and he told me that it won't be available until 2018. Then I saw Honda 650f which was 2015 model and it was brand new asking $6500 plus taxes or so. It that too much? I asked him what is the best offer you will take and he said $6500 is the lowest offer that he will take. After this I asked him about Suzuki sv650 and he said that bike is great and he had one of them before. Also he said sv650 come with v-twin engine vs 650f Honda come with inline 4 engine and if I want something loud he said inline 4 will be loudest. I asked him is 600rr lighter than 650f he said yes it's because of 600rr has a aluminum frame, once I sit on that bike it felt heavy than 650f. I was confused anyway I really wanted to sit on the BMW f800r.

I got to spend some time in the saddle of the previous "650" version of the BMW parallel twin and while it's definitely a user-friendly engine, the vibration was a big turn-off for me. The bike is still around today so some can deal with it, but it was bad enough to be a deal breaker for me...

Tests I have read for the Honda 650 state it's very buzzy too (high frequency I4 type of buzzing), though I haven't ridden one to verify...

Anyone know how much insurance is going to be and what policy do I need? I don't want to pay during the winter season since I will not be riding it.

My first question is: have you ridden before? If not, I would strongly suggest getting some riding instruction. This is probably the best known riding school: MSF

As for bikes, I've owned bikes from all three makes you're considering. I currently own a BMW, and a Suzuki. The BMW will be the most expensive to buy and service. Also BMW's, like all Euro bikes, are a bit more trouble prone than Japanese bikes.

Between the Honda and Suzuki you're considering, I'd take the SV650. The SV650 since it's original inception, has been very popular. In fact Suzuki just came to their senses, and reintroduced it.

As for insurance, I'd suggest doing a lot of calling around to various agencies, as insurance rates can vary widely, from insurance companies, to even individual agents representing the same insurance company.

As for what your insurance rates will be, that depends on the bike, your age, where you live, the amount of coverage desired, your driving record, and quite often these days, your credit score. Some insurance companies will offer a discount for completing an MSF riding course.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
My first question is: have you ridden before? If not, I would strongly suggest getting some riding instruction. This is probably the best known riding school: MSF

Yes absolutely, without a doubt get rider training. Additionally Harley Davidson dealers offer the riders edge program based on the MSF program. It will cost a little more but may be easier to get into and more accessible location wise.

As for the bikes. Out of your group I would go with the BMW because it will be the most versatile with BMW accessories and I prefer the power delivery of a twin (which puts the Honda out the fact that the Honda doesn’t appear to offer ABS puts it out too). Were I buying a bike in this class I would be seriously looking at a Monster 797.

There is also the Scrambler if the styling is something you like, The Moto Guzzi V7, Triumph Modern Classics and of course the HD Street and Sportster.

One thing about the HD and all the European makes is that they will probably be easier to get a test ride on if you are licensed, at least in my experience.

I personally have come to dislike I4 bikes generally particularly small displacement I4 bikes, the high frequency buzz and generally peaky power curves just don’t agree with me.

As for the negotiation. Asking them what is the lowest they will take is certainly not the path to the best deal. I would recommend you be less concerned about getting a fantastic deal and more concerned about getting the right bike for you. If you can get a bike in this class for MSRP out the door you did ok- perhaps even good. Many dealers offer accessories at a discount with a bike, Helmets, Jackets, Gloves, Boots it all adds up... don’t skimp on gear.

Insurance is too variable to delve into.

What about the new Kawasaki Z650? It weighs 410 pounds w/ ABS and 405 pounds without. The BMW makes more torque and a bit more horsepower but it weighs 29 pounds more.

I have been on the super sports 250cc before but that was like 4 years ago, since then I never rode the bike. There's MSF shop nearby my location. My friend has harely bike that he might let me learn it from him. On the BMW f800r bike can I do the service on my own or it has to be done at the dealership, or Ducati is better than BMW as far working on DIY?

As far about the insurance, isn't a lot of bike owners doesn't have the insurance in fact as soon they see the police then they ride as fast as they can to get away from them. Not trying to mean just saying.

My friend I think you need to take the MSF course (1 weekend -- 8 to 5 both days) before you worry about what bike to buy.

And there are some hooligans who ride bikes without insurance, but there are also car owners who drive without insurance.

And if you want to do your own service work, I'd stay away from high end European bikes. Now that most newer bikes have OBD2 on them, there is a big increase in bikes having dealer-only programming required.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
My friend I think you need to take the MSF course (1 weekend -- 8 to 5 both days) before you worry about what bike to buy.

And there are some hooligans who ride bikes without insurance, but there are also car owners who drive without insurance.

And if you want to do your own service work, I'd stay away from high end European bikes. Now that most newer bikes have OBD2 on them, there is a big increase in bikes having dealer-only programming required.

I'm going to take a msf course and then buy it and I'm getting insurance. I'm just going to look for Japanese bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back