Coolant issue with 2005 Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week or two ago I topped off the coolant reservoir for my Sienna. I just looked into the coolant reservoir today, and I’m not sure how much coolant I have. I could do with an answer to either of these questions:

(1) How high above the full line is it ok to go, when pouring in more Toyota Super Long Life coolant?

(2) Is it possible that the coolant could be at the full mark, but still not appear to move when I shake the reservoir back and forth?

Background--whey I want to know:

I looked inside the cap, and it was very dry straight down, although with this reservoir, it appears that the “bottom” that I saw was not the absolute bottom of the reservoir---when I pour it, it will go sideways down a gallery. I looked along the side of the resevoir, where you can how the fluid level compares to the low and full marks. From the side, I can see that the level is just above the full mark. But when I shake it, I do not see any wavy movement of the fluid (through the side of the reservoir), like I would if fluid was moving. So I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is just some solidified or gelled coolant, that is on the side of the reservoir.

I could find out how much coolant I really have, by simply pouring in more. My issue is, if it is already at the full mark, I would be taking it higher and higher above it, so I’m asking if this is a major no no.

Hope this makes sense. Please ask for details if you need any clarification.

Last edited:
Sometimes I use a flashlight shined through the side of the reservoir to get a better look at the level. Then you can shake the bottle and see the water level move around (or not move if it's a stain on the inside).

I took a flashlight--the level is about 1/8 inch above the full mark. I did shake it again, and I didn't see any fluid moving up and down. I am pretty sure I have seen that movement before when I've poured in more coolant. Anyways, I am looking into this because I saw a small reddish pink puddle on my driveway, right where the front of the car sits. It looks like it might have come out from the top (which has a relief hole in the lid), if in fact coolant reservoirs are designed to allow that. I don't know.

The reservoir should be filled to the "Cold" mark with coolant when the engine is cold. If it is not to that mark then coolant should be added to bring it to the mark. When the vehicle is hot, it should not be above the hot mark. It's not a major no-no to have too much coolant in the reservoir as it will just be ejected when hot, but you may see that as a spill.

I've never seen the gelling problem you mention, ever. And I've used Toyota coolant in two cars for over 17 years.

The reservoir has "Low" and "Full" on it, and that's what the manual mention as well.

It would have gotten replaced when I had my timing belt replaced, late, some time around 115-120K. So yeah, a 10 year coolant really shouldn't be solidifying at the 2-3 year mark.

THen most likely what is going on is that in fact, my spill was the coolant coming out the lid, which means in fact I have enough already.

OK, I was just puzzled because I am pretty darn sure I've seen coolant move back and forth, and this stuff sure isn't.

EDIT: To play it safe, since nothing will blow up if I have too much, I'll just add a bit and see if the level moves up. If so, then I would know for a fact I have enough.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The reservoir should be filled to the "Cold" mark with coolant when the engine is cold. If it is not to that mark then coolant should be added to bring it to the mark. When the vehicle is hot, it should not be above the hot mark. It's not a major no-no to have too much coolant in the reservoir as it will just be ejected when hot, but you may see that as a spill.

I've never seen the gelling problem you mention, ever. And I've used Toyota coolant in two cars for over 17 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri
OK, I was just puzzled because I am pretty darn sure I've seen coolant move back and forth, and this stuff sure isn't.

I didn't mean to talk down to you about the level marks, I just wanted to make sure you had it at the appropriate level for what temperature the car was at. But if you are shaking the bottle (yours is part of the radiator fan shroud, right?) and the fluid isn't moving, well that doesn't sound good. I'm really not sure what is going on with that.

I didn't take it like that. Yeah I'm gonna pour in a bit more, just to be sure that I do have enough.

OK thanks to you both for some perspective.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: paulri

I didn't mean to talk down to you about the level marks, I just wanted to make sure you had it at the appropriate level for what temperature the car was at. But if you are shaking the bottle (yours is part of the radiator fan shroud, right?) and the fluid isn't moving, well that doesn't sound good. I'm really not sure what is going on with that.

On the '05 xB in my sig, the only way I can see how much is in the expansion tank is a flashlight, at night. Otherwise there is literally no way to see it.

Going higher is no big issue to me. I'd just let my wife add and I would watch and see what happened. A cup or so extra would be fine.

BUT I do believe bullwinkle has your answer. Let it get good and dark and sign a light down from the top while adding more coolant.

Flashlight was it. With the flashlight going down the tube, I was able to see a slight up and down movement right at the level, so everything is fine now.

That small puddle must have been the overflow as kschachn said. I was using a funnel when I poured it, I doubt i would have spilled that.

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Clean up the spilled coolant. Cats and dogs think it is candy and die a horrible death from it and I personally know. Ed
Not applicable to OAT and HOAT coolants. The stuff has a bitter taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back