Oil History Section ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Dear BITOG Mods,

Would it be possible to create an "Oil History" section ?
Maybe within the Lubrication and General Automotive section.

Just an idea, if it's not too much trouble, it would be an ideal home for threads like this
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4287098/

I've seen a few old oil threads which are interesting, but they move slowly, and therefore quickly become buried by the "what oil should I use in my new car"' threads within the PCMO section. If they stayed at the top of the own section for longer, it would allow time for more people to consider them and offer input.

Just an idea.

Best Regards,
SR5

I like the idea. We do get a few historical type threads here that are great to refer to, but do get hard to find, buried in the scenarios you mentioned. There are a few posters here with some great historical insight, and it would be nice to be able to gather up such threads.

Seconded.
We do have some guys here who were involved in formulating and testing oils over a number of years.
It would be interesting to learn what goals were pursued with various formulations as well as how well some of the oils formulated to meet now obsolete standards performed in service.
We also have a number of members who actually used these now obsolete oils when they were current who could weigh in with their experience.
All I know is that engines lasted and stayed clean on seventies spec oils just as they do on today's formulations. The only readily apparent difference is that current oils seem to allow for longer drain intervals, although unleaded fuel and precise mixture management probably play a major role in that.

Got my vote. I'll participate and add as much info and insight as I can. May even consider letting supporting members moderate the section independently, to ensure the section stays true to its roots. I have a few ideas for basic rules.

-The section is dedicated only to oils meeting the newest obsolete spec and back, .I.e. SM and earlier. This would allow current yet "classic" or "competition" oils to be discussed. As one spec passes the torch, It can be included.
-VOAs and PDS documents welcome
-advertising welcome
-personal insight and experience welcome
-No PSR, seriously, that needs to be strictly enforced

I'm tired of oils [or at least the specs] changing. I have old and "classic" vehicles and dirt bikes,and am confused about what trans oil to use,as the trans and crankcase are separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back