Yokohama vs Continental

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally went to get the two front tires on my car replaced today. The only ones any of the stores have in stock that fit my car are Continental Control Contact Sport A/S ($133) and Yokohama YK740 GTX ($125). Which of these is the better tire? My car is my daily driver,lots of long highway commutes,so quietness and smoothness is the top priority.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I finally went to get the two front tires on my car replaced today. The only ones any of the stores have in stock that fit my car are Continental Control Contact Sport A/S ($133) and Yokohama YK740 GTX ($125). Which of these is the better tire? My car is my daily driver,lots of long highway commutes,so quietness and smoothness is the top priority.
continental hands down. i replaced my pro contacts with the true contacts and i love them.

Yokohama are the only tyres that have gripped so hard I hurt my neck and ley immobilised in bed for 2 days.

No Conti, Michelin Pirelli or even R888 Toyos have done that.

Originally Posted By: Olas
No Conti, Michelin Pirelli or even R888 Toyos have done that.

You must have been running the wrong models.

I would check the tire reviews at Tire Rack. Be sure to check the vehicle used for the review; you want to pay close attention to similar make and model, and in particular, vehicles that weight similar to yours. You can discount reviews for cars that are significantly lighter or heavier.

Broadly speaking I find Conti and Yokohama to be good brands overall. I don't think there is a true wrong answer in your case with regard to overall quality. Certainly there could be differences in performance; tires are quite specific in that aspect.

Grip is important if you generally push the car near or at the limits of adhesion, but for many drivers things like road noise and comfort are also important. Broadly speaking you can't have all three; decide what is important to you in order from most to least, and look for those qualities.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
road noise and comfort are also important.

This is definitely top priority. Most of my driving is 70-80mph interstate commuting with the cruise control on.

this is an unquantified, and here-say post. I suspect that conti's have thinner sidewalls, and can be more prone to blowouts. We had an escape which my ex-wife drove on to the shoulder and blew the tire out with maybe 15,000 on it. I considered conti's later because I like their bike tires and the reviews on tire-rack had several posts reporting the same - sidewall blowouts. I inquired at the local NTB about them and they said that most of the conti's they sold were performance models and out of tread in 1.5-2 yrs, BUT that the people that buy them love them and come back for them routinely. Our roads are generally very good here.

Last edited:
both fine tires. If those Contis are the DT TrueContact knock off (actually a bit better IMO) I have them and like them on the T&C. I really like the Yokohama avid ascends but I don't think DT carries them.

why are you limiting yourself to what they have on stock? this seems disconnected with being picky about your tires. buying what they have in stock is like you are on a roadtrip and had a blowout and need to get going asap.

how long does it take them to order in a tire? if you are in any populated area they should be able to get you most tires from their distributer within 1 or 2 days.
if you can't wait 2days or didnt plan 2days in advance then you can't be picky

Last edited:
I've bought and run both brands. Currently have some Yokohama's on a family vehicle with that exact model and they are fantastic. Quiet and smooth with great rain stability. Don't know about snow or ice, being in OKC we don't see too much of either. You really can't go wrong with either brand. Every brand has a stinker or two. In those models I honestly think it's a toss up. Go with what you feel more confident in. I would have no problem running either one. I would probably favor the Yoko more, but that's subjective.

Last edited:
I have a Camry with Contis and a Camry with Yokis. The Contis
have good wet grip and a very smooth ride. The Yokis grip well but, being V rated, are a little harsh. They handle the 265 HP V6 motor very well, though.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Broadly speaking I find Conti and Yokohama to be good brands overall. I don't think there is a true wrong answer in your case with regard to overall quality. Certainly there could be differences in performance; tires are quite specific in that aspect.

I agree, and Bridgestone & Yokohama are married, so I have had excellent Bridgestones as well.

Here's another to add to the list. Hankook Vetnus V2 Concept 2. They're $96 at NTB. Are these tired any good? I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible in case I sell this car here soon.

These are both DT/DTD-exlcusive tires. I'm not a fan of exclusive tires.

The ControlContact Sport is a special Discount Tire version of the old DWS (not the newer DWS06), and the YK740 GTX who knows
crazy2.gif

DT will install tires from DTD for $16. And DT will match DTD's prices. You should get the Yokohama S.Drive.

The Concept V2 is ok, but the s1 noble2 is better. Plus, the $80 rebate on it makes it about the same price as the Concept.

But if you live in Texas, you don't need all-season tires. You'd be better off with summer tires. They're for the 300ZX in your sig, right?Is the size 225/50-16? If so, consider these:
Dunlop Direzza DZ102
BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2
Yokohama S.Drive

Running 18" Yokohama YK740 GTX on wife's Lexus RX330.
6 or so months of use and very happy with them. Had some pretty good rain storms this last winter with localized road flooding etc.
Runs quiet, tracks straight.
Let off the gas and it coast down the road unlike previous tires. Seem weird at first.
Recently had the spare changed to have the same tire. It's a full size with the same wheels.

I'm running DT Continental tires on my SUV and I'm happy with them too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
These are both DT/DTD-exlcusive tires. I'm not a fan of exclusive tires.

The ControlContact Sport is a special Discount Tire version of the old DWS (not the newer DWS06), and the YK740 GTX who knows
crazy2.gif

DT will install tires from DTD for $16. And DT will match DTD's prices. You should get the Yokohama S.Drive.

The Concept V2 is ok, but the s1 noble2 is better. Plus, the $80 rebate on it makes it about the same price as the Concept.

But if you live in Texas, you don't need all-season tires. You'd be better off with summer tires. They're for the 300ZX in your sig, right?Is the size 225/50-16? If so, consider these:
Dunlop Direzza DZ102
BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2
Yokohama S.Drive

Yokohama S.Drive has been discontinued replaced with Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Have some being installed on Sat

Originally Posted By: djscotty14
Yokohama S.Drive has been discontinued replaced with Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. Have some being installed on Sat

How could summer tire be replaced by all season?

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back