How to disable start security on 2008 Chevy Tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got this 2008 Chevy Tahoe at an auction but it appears to have some kind of security system enabled, I cannot start the car. The key does nothing but turns on headlights and inside lights, so the battery is good. And somehow when they ran it through the lanes, it started. I don't know how they did it.

Key on engine on makes no sound whatsoever, not even a click. The battery is good.

Maybe it had one of these remote starters? All I have is the key.

Is there a security light blinking when you're trying to turn on the car? If there is then it's your security system controlled by the BCM. Chevy's do many times have BCM issues and your bcm might need to be replaced.
Do the 10 minute trick like the poster above mentioned. If it works than it may be either the BCM or the ignition switch, for me it was the BCM on my impala.

Last edited:
The 10 minute thing did not help. What else could it be?

Where is the BCM located?

How does one check if it's bad? Without blinding replacing it.

I did not notice if there is a blinking light.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pacem
The 10 minute thing did not help. What else could it be?

Where is the BCM located?

How does one check if it's bad? Without blinding replacing it.

1) Is there a security light that comes on when you try starting the car?

2) Check the starter if its getting power when you try starting the car?

The BCM can only be tested and replaced by someone who has a tech2 scanner, which usually dealers have as well as auto technicians who specialize in automotive electrical issues or a really good repair shop. I am not sure a regular snapon scanner can program a BCM, but perhaps it can. It is a pretty expensive repair if its the issue in fact around the $400 range. That's why I am asking you to see if the starter is getting power, if it is getting power and not moving then its the starter and not BCM.
I've seen ways online on how to bypass the security feature and not replace the BCM but it involves splicing and some sort of resistor and it is not something that I've done.
Also check out the forum link below maybe they can help you out more since its a dedicated Tahoe forum.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/general-discussion.14/

Last edited:
Where is the security light located on the dash?

Where do I put the voltmeter on the starter? From the bottom? I don't have a lift.

you can also take the starter off your car and autozone will test it free of charge. If the starter comes back good, you can then assume its not getting power and start thinking about BCM replacement or further troubleshooting.

Run a wire from the live side of the battery to the starter solenoid. The result will tell you if it's the Starter or ignition switch, after you disable/remove eny alarm/immobiliser

Originally Posted By: pacem
Where is the security light located on the dash?

The security light is the padlock symbol that illuminates in the tachometer.

When you turn the key to the on position, without starting the truck, you should see this symbol illuminate, then turn off. If that happens, the anti-theft is probably not the issue.

With a fully charged battery and no other issues, the gauge cluster will make it very apparent if the key/anti-theft is the issue. In addition to the padlock symbol staying on or flashing, it should say something like "service theft system" in the message center. If those things don't happen, the issue is probably elsewhere.

Might also be the neutral safety switch.

Are you a licensed dealer? What is this auction that lets regular people in?

Well...I guess he can get another 100,000 miles out of it.....if he can get it started.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I went to Manheim with a dealer friend one time and bought a truck, on the drive home the CEL lit up. No help to offer but I feel your frustration.

eljefino, there are public auto auctions here and there. My son and I bought an S10 at Mason/Dixon Auto Auction south of Chambersburg, Pa. years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back