10w40 synthetic vs 15w40 for new tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have recently bought a new Lamborghini R2.86 tractor. The owners manual says that the recommended oil is 10w40 synthetic or 15w40 conventional oil of at least acea E5 spec. Temperatures around here usually get over 100 deg.F in the summer and the lowest temp in the winter may be 30F. So cold starting is not really an issue here. My question is which oil should i choose for better engine protection. Is the 15w40 more shear stable? Or synthetic is better? The oil change intervals are every 300 hours. I am thinking of using Petronas arbor alfatech synthetic 10w40 or the alfatech 15w40.
Constantinos

If the warranty states they're both acceptable, use the cheaper of the two.

Synthetic is not 'better' than conventional.

If you really really want to give it the very best oil possible, Redline 15w40 Diesel

In general, I'd say a modern tractor won't be terribly demanding of the oil. Not sure if it's the same in Greece, but in the US Shell Rotella 15w40 is available basically everywhere and that's what I'd use.

HTR HYDRAULIC TAPET? Do these have roller or not ? If they don't you might need an oil specificly for flat tapet . I m more into the roller one now a days. You should ask other here with flat tapet non roller experience .first you ll have to find if these htr hydraulic tapped are roller or not. If they aren't roller tho you ll need a specific type of oil

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
HTR HYDRAULIC TAPET? Do these have roller or not ? If they don't you might need an oil specificly for flat tapet . I m more into the roller one now a days. You should ask other here with flat tapet non roller experience .first you ll have to find if these htr hydraulic tapped are roller or not. If they aren't roller tho you ll need a specific type of oil

Never seen any oil described as "specific" for flat tappets. In fact, I thought the "official" party line from the major manufactures was that the latest skinny low zinc oils were 100% backwards compatible with everything ever built back to and including the first Benz.

Any SAE ~40 oil is essentially identical within the boundary of that viscosity's tolerances; the Winter viscosity has no significance at room temperature or above. Use whatever is cheapest provided it has standard viscosity of xx-40.

300 hour is a reasonably long interval (equivalent to 9,000 miles at 30 mph average, and 18,000 miles at 60 mph average in a road vehicle) so I would suggest Synthetic should offer some benefits over conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Winter viscosity has no significance at room temperature or above.

Its significant at any temperature at which you can read the bottle (not always possible here), because it gives you an important clue as to how much VM there is likely to be in the mixture.

Low numbers are worse than high numbers, unless you need them, which the OP won't

Last edited:
Most seem to recommend the 15w40 so I will probably use that because its also easier to find and cheaper. What about the 300 hour interval? Is it too long for conventional 15w40 to handle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

300 hour is a reasonably long interval (equivalent to 9,000 miles at 30 mph average, and 18,000 miles at 60 mph average in a road vehicle) so I would suggest Synthetic should offer some benefits over conventional oil.

300 hours seems long to me, too. 100 is recommended on the normally aspirated Kubota I am familiar with (and that Lambo is a turbo, no?) 300 is the transmission change interval.

Last edited:
Yes its a turbo 3 cylinder 3 liter diesel engine. The first oil change was done a few days ago at 100 hours but I have no idea what oil they used. The first service was free. The next one will be at 300 hours. If I remember correctly they recommend transmission fluid service every 1200 hours. The transmisson holds 41 liters of oil and the engine 12 liters

Originally Posted By: Costas00
Yes its a turbo 3 cylinder 3 liter diesel engine. The first oil change was done a few days ago at 100 hours but I have no idea what oil they used. The first service was free. The next one will be at 300 hours. If I remember correctly they recommend transmission fluid service every 1200 hours. The transmisson holds 41 liters of oil and the engine 12 liters

Ok that's a darn good sized sump for a 3.0l so the change interval makes more sense. Pardon please my unfamiliarity with that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back