Winter tires, Help me out, Northern guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Because you are asking for the impossible.

I asked for nothing impossible. Others wanted all the background info, I provided it. If you have nothing to add, then fine -- STAY OUT.

True winter/snow tires are designed specifically with softer rubber compounds to function ideally below 8 degrees Celsius (about 45F). They will handle and brake poorly in warmer temperatures, and also wear much more quickly.

Really, you should remove and store them as soon as snow is out of the forecast and the daily lows are above 0C / 32F.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Because you are asking for the impossible.

I asked for nothing impossible. Others wanted all the background info, I provided it. If you have nothing to add, then fine -- STAY OUT.

You asked for winter tire that can handle Texas summer heat. That is next to impossible.

It is message board, anybody can write anything. You may need to grow extra skin or use filters to block users.

Has she ever driven in winter conditions? If she has not she indeed does not know what she is getting into.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Honestly? Because your daughter has ZERO idea what she is getting herself into.
Daughter wants this, and that, and this. Life does not work that way, especially in Alaska.
She should stay in TX.

My daughter has traveled extensively. She has spent extended periods away in Romania, Germany, Wales, Italy, and even a whole summer in Japan when she was just 16. I am totally sure she can handle AK, especially with the help from all the AK friends she has already made.

How dare you judge my young DAUGHTER, Ed. Your IGNORANCE of her, and her young life is appalling. Grown men should not take on young girls. You crossed a line, Ed. You want to take ME on? Have at it. Keep your insults away from my daughter.Your "advice" is REJECTED. You are warned.

Good for her that she traveled extensively, she should know what compromise means.
I am not sure where did you read any insults, but your daughter, to barrow line from Will Farrell in his sketch about global warming, want nature to cooperate with her, not other way around.
She wants to keep car, she want this or that.
This is second time you are asking SAME question. I am pretty sure you will not be satisfied until someone agrees with your approach.
This is very simple:
1. No winter tire is suitable in TX. Period!
2. She should have REAL winter tires in AK. Period!

She wants to take car to AK that she has. OK, take it. Put winter tires and take. When she comes back sell tires etc. Tires are cheap, life is not!

Did she drive in Romania ? I know we used snow tires there ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD

It is not just winter, it is AK winter. Very, very, very big difference. Until you have experienced -50C temps for weeks on end, it is really hard to describe. People think temps below freezing are all the same. When it warms up from -50C (around -60 F) to -20C or so, it actually feels like spring. Where I was, at -20 C, the local Inuit would be walking around in t-shirts. At -50C, if your car breaks down or gets stuck and you are not in the city, there is a very real chance of dying.

Just trying to provide info from someone who used to actually live up north.

It is not just winter, it is AK winter. Very, very, very big difference. Until you have experienced -50C temps for weeks on end, it is really hard to describe. People think temps below freezing are all the same. When it warms up from -50C (around -60 F) to -20C or so, it actually feels like spring.

Just to be clear, OP's daughter will be in King Cove, which has an average low winter temp of about 26F which is -3C.

But they do get about 75 inches of snow each winter, which is a decent amount.

Granted, she could be taking drives to other parts of AK where conditions could be worse.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It is not just winter, it is AK winter. Very, very, very big difference. Until you have experienced -50C temps for weeks on end, it is really hard to describe. People think temps below freezing are all the same. When it warms up from -50C (around -60 F) to -20C or so, it actually feels like spring.

Just to be clear, OP's daughter will be in King Cove, which has an average low winter temp of about 26F which is -3C.

But they do get about 75 inches of snow each winter, which is a decent amount.

Granted, she could be taking drives to other parts of AK where conditions could be worse.

It's like summer where I was. :lol: Agreed, 75" of snow is pretty significant. We never had anywhere near that, do not really get snow below -30C.

Not really. It's an isolated little community that doesn't have roads connecting to the mainland. You could walk the entire town in a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Not really. It's an isolated little community that doesn't have roads connecting to the mainland. You could walk the entire town in a few minutes.

You are not kidding! Checked google maps, does not appear to be a single road connecting it to anything!

Not really. It's an isolated little community that doesn't have roads connecting to the mainland.

Car ferry?
smile.gif

Not really. It's an isolated little community that doesn't have roads connecting to the mainland.

Car ferry?
smile.gif

There might be a car ferry for the 600+ mile trip to Anchorage. Of course a trip there and back will probably cost more than the value of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back