Teardown: Million Mile Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hard time scrolling with ads screwing things up but it appears Toyota paid the dealership $8000 for it after the owner of trades it in on a new truck?

You may consider installing an ad blocker.. What impresses me: lack of concern for early changes of factory fills, used fluids tests and total disregard of thin vs thick postmodernist dialog this generation is obsessed with. Just lowly TGMO from the dealer..

I don't buy the hyperbole.

"cleanest bearings we have ever removed from an engine."

"The engine performed 99/100 on our performance test."

Yeah, ok.

Is there another article detailing how the miles were accrued? I didn't see one linked in the story
21.gif

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I don't buy the hyperbole.

"cleanest bearings we have ever removed from an engine."

"The engine performed 99/100 on our performance test."

Yeah, ok.

I felt the same way.

From the article linked below...

"Sheppard, who has owned numerous Tundra trucks in the past, is a hotshot driver delivering time-sensitive equipment for the oilfield and other industries needing door-to-door service. When the oil business was flush, he averaged 125,000 miles a year, but last year he logged closer to 110,000 with oil prices sliding. He regularly drives long-haul trips to places such as North Dakota, Wyoming and Virginia, and has been known to take a nap or two in the cab."

Link to article - http://toyotatoday.com/news/high-mileage-marvel.htm

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I had a hard time scrolling with ads screwing things up but it appears Toyota paid the dealership $8000 for it after the owner of trades it in on a new truck?

Our local RAM dealer pays good money on trades when you million-mile your Cummins diesel. Almost always will be a 1-ton used to haul cross-country to rack up those miles; you will get featured in ads.

My 03 4Runner has an older version of that same engine without the variable valve timing.

These engines have solid lifters not hydraulic. I have heard it said they never need adjusting but I'd like some more detail on the clearances they discovered and if they were ever checked or adjusted.

If all this is true then my engine at 160K+ is just about broken in and ready to start its service life.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'm confident my Accord could make it that far if I chose to continue to drive it a ton. Looks great!

Love crystal ball predictions like this. If you get 300,000 out of an Accord your doing well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'm confident my Accord could make it that far if I chose to continue to drive it a ton. Looks great!

Love crystal ball predictions like this. If you get 300,000 out of an Accord your doing well.

check his sig, he's already at 582,000 mi.

Nice PR opportunity and the article is quite skimpy on details.

If this truck regularly pulled a trailer or had it's bed loaded with heavy equipment, then it's pretty impressive. But if it was used as a carrier for light, but very important and time sensitive equipment, then I'm not impressed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Our local RAM dealer pays good money on trades when you million-mile your Cummins diesel. Almost always will be a 1-ton used to haul cross-country to rack up those miles; you will get featured in ads.

I'm sure they will stick the million mile 'CUMMINGS, BRO' back on the lot and sticker it at $15K!

No matter how the miles were accrued, a million miles is quite the achievement for any truck. If it were so easy we would see threads like this every week. Not too many vehicles can accomplish this feat so it is a testament to Toyota and their quality engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back