Is Castrol really discontinuing EDGE 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen on here a few times that the long-famed EDGE 0W-30 ("German Castrol") is to be discontinued in the U.S. It is no longer listed on their U.S. website (neither is 0W-40 for that matter), and no longer available on Amazon. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks. I understand 0W-40 is very close to 0W-30. I haven enough 0W-30 (the newest Titanium formula) on hand for a few more oil changes in my wife's Mini Cooper. Will switch to 0W-40 after that. Let's hope they keep 0W-40 as well! It is odd that it is no longer listed on their website.

Yeah, unfortunately they stopped selling the 0w30 in the US, but it is still available in Canada. I hope the new 0w30 that Trav mentioned makes it over here though!

Luckily, I have two oil changes' worth of the 0w30 that I got at Pep Boys during the founders day sale just before they discontinued it
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Its now 5w30 European blend if you want 30 weight. Gold Bttle.

Cheap non-PAO, though. Terrible poor point. No where near what 0W-30 was. EDGE 0W-40 and Motul x-max 0W-40 are just about the only PAO oils left.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes Edge 0w30 is going away, its an old obsolete formula no longer used in Europe (they have a new 0w30), it is so close to the 0w40 its not worth keeping both.
They are keeping the 0w40. If you were using the 0w30 just use the 0w40, your engine wont know the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B00JGQLZSU

also--https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-Edge-Strength-for-Maximum-Protection-0W40-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/35931146

Any links?

I believe our Canadian members also have access to an A3/B4 Castrol 5w30. Hopefully in time we will see it here too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I believe our Canadian members also have access to an A3/B4 Castrol 5w30. Hopefully in time we will see it here too.

You can buy it on Amazon.

0W-30 A3/B4:
- PDS
- SDS

5W-30 A3/B4:
- PDS
- SDS

The 5W-30 is certainly a cheapened product... just your average GIII LL-01 oil. Far worse cold-flow properties, and will certainly not withstand shearing, oxidation as well as the PAO-based 0W-30. Get it while you can! (or run 0W-40)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Cheap non-PAO, though. Terrible poor point. No where near what 0W-30 was. EDGE 0W-40 and Motul x-max 0W-40 are just about the only PAO oils left.

thanks for point that out, I'm glad I'm not going to waste my $$ on it!

I sent an email to Castrol last week:

"What is the status of Castrol EDGE 0W-30 and 0W-40? I notice that both are no longer listed on Castrol USA's website. Are they being discontinued? I use both in my daily drivers."

Received a response this morning:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 and Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 oils are currently available products.

The above Castrol EDGE oils are sold by retailers such as Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Strauss, NAPA Auto Parts and by select quick lubes, dealerships and auto service centers around the country.

The above mentioned national retailers who carry Castrol products order their products from a warehouse, who in turn, order the product from us. Generally it is based on consumer demand therefore we are unable to advise you of a specific retail location that carries that particular product -- please call the surrounding stores directly to inquire about product availability.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API rating and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Perhaps it is not being discontinued (or maybe just in Canada, Garak?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back