Yamaha YZFR3 900 miles Penrite PAOESTER 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
not a typo. their base number is 9.8 in virgin sample.
TBN is what exactly? its how much life the oil has? which isnt a proper way to gauge if you ask me. as its only a 15W 40 after such a short length of time so it isnt a reliable test to gauge

Typical Data
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.862
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C
at 100°C
Viscosity Index 159
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -20°C 5929
Zinc, Mass % 0.124
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.112
Sulphated Ash, Mass % 1.2
Boron, Mass % 0.063
Base Number 9.8

Definitely a typo then, probably 7,9 or something, since it lowers as oil is used.
You should ask the lab a confirmation, maybe there are other typo in the report!

Otherwise the oil looks like it has a good add pack. Viscosity is on the upper 40 range, but the oil doesn't start that thick at 17,7 so that doesn't surprise me much. A bit of mixing with previous oil, some fuel dilution (1%)...and it's a 40, not surprising.
Plus it looks like it has its share of heat too! And if it's a shared gearbox + engine sump, then I'd say the oil doesn't look bad.

I have 2 different labs saying 17.9 TBN

it isnt even 900 miles old and its sheared to a 40. is not good at all. they guarantee "shear free" for the life of the oil. which I would say 3,000 miles AT LEAST

1% fuel in 2.2lt of oil is 22 mls that is normal and its like that in most samples .5- 1%
it starts off with 1800 zinc so that has gone to 1100 ish . but the viscosity loss, and the oxidation (the heat you alluded to?)

I previously had 10W 40 of the same company and blend in my bike (as that is what it has used since it came off showroom) after 2 weeks that 40 had sheared to a 30. its not good oil. there is something wrong its not holding up pvery well at all

your 14.2 is just about in the middle of 40wt.
this is actually ok for 900miles
had it been the middle of 30wt then not so good and get that castrol gtx [censored] out of there
i would run it the full length and see where it ends up

steve

Originally Posted By: jack11234

it isnt even 900 miles old and its sheared to a 40. is not good at all. they guarantee "shear free" for the life of the oil. which I would say 3,000 miles AT LEAST

I previously had 10W 40 of the same company and blend in my bike (as that is what it has used since it came off showroom) after 2 weeks that 40 had sheared to a 30. its not good oil. there is something wrong its not holding up pvery well at all

No oil is shear free in a shared sump if it's a multigrade. Just doesn't happen. Could be made of pixie dust obtained from the backs of unicorns, still isn't going to be shear free. Even a PAO with a naturally high viscosity spread will have some VI in it to get a 15w50.
Your oil doesn't look that bad. I think it would have sheared to a 40, and likely stayed that way for a while.
Narrow spreads in the first and last number can indicate less VI in the mix. Give Yamaha 15w30 a try.

Originally Posted By: jack11234

1% fuel in 2.2lt of oil is 22 mls that is normal and its like that in most samples .5- 1%
it starts off with 1800 zinc so that has gone to 1100 ish . but the viscosity loss, and the oxidation (the heat you alluded to?)

Starting from 9,8, 17,9 is just impossible...no miracle here! 7,9 is more than probable.
And once again, 1% fuel dilution can account for such a shearing.

Just had a good conversation with the head tech at penrite. we both giggled at the 17.9 TBN.
essentially the oil test was done for parameters of a diesel engine. so when they tested the flashpoint for fuel. they got quite a large flash. it turns out I have 3.6% total fuel in the sample. so its off to yamaha for compression tests and checks/service

why didn't they post the flash point?

As mentioned the 1% fuel dilution should have reduced the flash and would also effect the viscosity. 17.9 seems far fetched to any oil diesil or not.

I wouldn't take this report to Yamaha, most likely they would laugh, or maybe they just be in the mood to make easy money.

short runs or cold runs can add to fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back