Toyota Sienna Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that you drive a sienna, you are probably interested in quietness, good balance between dry and rain traction, and longevity. Bridgestone Serenity if they come in your size is an /excellent/ all around tire; we have them on two vehicles now. They are directional, however, which some people do not prefer. A non-direction, excellent tire by bridgestone is the Dueler- is also a very good tire in all regards (neither of these are bad in snow, but they are NOT snow tires). Cooper CS5 as listed above would also be a great tire, though I can't attest to treadwear. We put CS3s on my step-daughter's car and they have been very good.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Picky1- if it's any consolation, I'm on my 4th different make/model minivan and they're ALL tough on tires. IMO, it's the weight of these suckers that does them in so quickly. I've tried various Coopers, Mastercraft, Yokohama, Firestone, Bridgesone and probably others. Lucky to get 30K miles even with somewhat regular rotations.

We got 75k miles per tire set on our 94 previa. Based upon the wear profile on the odyssey, I expect to get similar.

Perhaps it is driving style?

Thanks all for the replies, I am currently running RT43's on my Subaru Legacy. I have only put like 5,000 miles on them so I haven't really been able to draw a conclusion. Plus every Subaru I have had has always gotten excellent tire wear once I replaced the OEM tires.

I am not surprised about the minivan eating tires. We had an Odyssey before the Sienna and it was hard on tires as well, especially the outside edges of the front tires.

The plan at this point is to wait until Memorial Day and see what kind of rebates are avail and I guess then pull the trigger on either the Coopers CS5 or Generals RT43.

Also, I see that Costco & BJ's has been running a $50-$70 rebate on the Bridgestone-Ecopia EP422 PLUS, BFGoodrich-Advantage T/A, and T/A Sport, and the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring...any feedback on these tires?

And we got 40,000 out of the OE 710s on our Sienna which did just fine in winter. So whoever was wheeling your minivan, they were driving it hard or you simply didn't treat them respectfully with frequent rotations, alignments and air pressure adjustments. Remember, it's the car manufacturer that specs the tire, not Bridgestone/Firestone. No doubt, Toyota was tight on cost.

Since I have a very good relationship with my local Firestone store, we stayed in the family with Bridgestone Affinity tires that were on special for less than the 710s which I wouldn't have hesitated to buy again.

Wherever or whatever you buy, get lifetime rotation, balance and alignment. Get the alignment checked every time you rotate, every 5-6,000 miles. It's also a good idea to keep 2 psi above recommended so that you never drop below spec air pressure.

Last edited:
An alignment every 5k? I'd be in a tire shop every month.

Wife and I don't get more than 40k out of tires either, OEM or not. We can beat EPA highway rating, often do. But our roads are twisty, it seems. It's not that we corner hard but that we corner often. No funny wear, frequent rotations, infrequent alignment (checked periodically) and short life. It happens, it seems.

Originally Posted By: meep
Being that you drive a sienna, you are probably interested in quietness, good balance between dry and rain traction, and longevity. Bridgestone Serenity if they come in your size is an /excellent/ all around tire; we have them on two vehicles now. They are directional, however, which some people do not prefer. A non-direction, excellent tire by bridgestone is the Dueler- is also a very good tire in all regards (neither of these are bad in snow, but they are NOT snow tires). Cooper CS5 as listed above would also be a great tire, though I can't attest to treadwear. We put CS3s on my step-daughter's car and they have been very good.

As mentioned above, I would be very careful about exactly what kind of Dueler you get...there are a lot of them. I was happy with H/L Alenzas some time ago, but my OEM H/L 400s were just awful for an all season, useless even at low speed in light snow. They were tolerable as summer tires, but wore out very quickly.

I don't believe the Serenity/Serenity Plus are directional. They are asymmetric, but not directional and can be cross rotated. A good friend of mine had the Serenity on his car and liked them enough to put on the newer Serenity Plus when they wore out.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
OEM tires now are generally made to be cheap to the car maker and give good gas mileage in testing, nothing else.

If I needed something to be cheap and only good at one thing, I probably wouldn't end up buying it almost exclusively from the priciest brands in the business.

Almost all OE tires Michelin/Bridgestone/Pirelli/Dunlop/Continental. Kumho/Toyo/Falken/Cooper/etc. all play at much lower price points, and yet account for VERY few OE fitments. The even-cheaper brands (Nexen, Nankang, etc.) are nowhere on the map. There's a reason.

Michelin Defender series, General Altimax RT43, the Bridgestone Ecopias can also work - but I'd see if the Dueler HL Alenza is available. The Ecopia EP422s are close to an OEM tire.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

I don't believe the Serenity/Serenity Plus are directional. They are asymmetric, but not directional and can be cross rotated. A good friend of mine had the Serenity on his car and liked them enough to put on the newer Serenity Plus when they wore out.

Well you have me wondering now. I figured they were because as installed, the diagonal tread pattern in the middle will channel water outward, which is what I normally see them do. If you cross rotate, they will they not send water inward towards the center of the vehicle?

Our 11 Sienna's OEM Firestone lasted about 35-40k in the fronts, the rears lasted about 65k. Did one rotation during that span. When the fronts' were done I bought the same OEM firestone. When it came time to replace the rears I replaced all 4 with Cooper CS5 grand touring. It has about 78k now, no issues with the CS5.

I would look into the dealership and contend they offer a pro-rated discount on the tires. Either the dealership or tire manufacturer. It should still be under some sort of a trade warranty. That is what I would do first before looking for new tires.

If that fails I would look into Continental Trucontracts of Cooper CS5s.

2013 Sienna XLE. OEM tires lasted about 35k miles. Replaced with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. Wait for the mail-in rebate if you can. Get the alignment checked and rotate frequently. You'll be happy with this tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back