Parked BMWs bursting into flames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note to self.. Never park one of our cars to a bimmer in a parking lot
smile.gif

What he just let his beauty to burn just like that?!? He shouldn't own one in the first place...

Phase one; deny all liability,blame and discredit owners,and refuse to disclose information, trying to gag victims.
A well known pattern emerging possibly?.

Claud

At least with the Pinto you had to have someone rear end you before a fire started.

Somewhere between the homeowner's insurance and the BMW factory and its dealer this guy is probably going to get the short end of the stick. He's going to have to start buying new luggage and clothes, too.

And topbliss has a good point even if he's from Jersey (lol). Don't park anywhere near a BMW.

More importantly, if you park next to a BWM that catches on fire, and than the fire spreads to your car, does the BMW drivers insurance company cover this?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
More importantly, if you park next to a BWM that catches on fire, and than the fire spreads to your car, does the BMW drivers insurance company cover this?

Yes. You'll also get a check for about $5 after the lawyers sue bmw.

Originally Posted By: topbliss
smile.gif

I've made this a rule, just in general, for a while.

Since I got all the dings removed from my 2010 Fusion by a PDR guy, back in 2015, every single new ding that I've gotten on it has occurred when I parked it next to a newer BMW. Not saying all BMW owners are careless douchebags, but based on past experience, it certainly seems like the odds are higher.

Oddly enough, I've never had a problem that I can recall, when parked next to an older/classic BMW.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: topbliss
smile.gif

I've made this a rule, just in general, for a while. Since I got all the dings removed from my 2010 Fusion by a PDR guy, back in 2015, every single new ding that I've gotten on it has occurred when I parked it next to a newer BMW. Not saying all BMW owners are careless douchebags, but based on past experience, it certainly seems like the odds are higher. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem that I can recall, when parked next to an older/classic BMW.

Hmm. I am not saying you are a stupid [censored] but it seems like the odds are high. Making that kind of statement about BMW owner's is just plain ridiculous. We have owned "newer" BMWs for years and never dinged any other car or our cars. We always make sure we park far away from low end cars like a Fusion so we don't get any dings. Oh, and haven't had a BMW catch on fire yet.

Last edited:
Ford had a similar issue a few years ago with their cruise control spontaneously catching fire on around 14 million vehicles. Ford knew about the issue for most of the 90s, but like BMW denied it was a problem for several years.

If I remember correctly they still used the faulty switches for a few years after they were proven to have started a couple hundred fires.

As you've seen, newish BMW drivers can be a little touchy.
Most drivers of newish BMWs aren't owners, they're renters, IOW, they have a lease, so they don't worry too much about the cars they're temporarily using. They'd only have their cars PDRed if they had to to avoid damage claims when they drop of their rented ride at the end of the lease.
Older BMW owners, like me, bought their cars because they wanted the entertainment value and value their rides accordingly.
I've had my old girl for seven years now and have cared for her well. There is nothing better than a top-down drive down some rural two-lane. The four cylinder is a great runner with none of the license endangering power that even a 325i e36 has. I tend to have a heavy foot in open traffic conditions:)

Thanks for posting this Mr Nice. I like to park next to the nice expensive cars with the idea that their drivers might be less apt to open their doors against other cars but, now I will not park anywhere near a BMW.

I'm sure Audi and Mercedes Benz are hoping this allots them business from current BMW owners. With the odds of a fire very very slim it may be time to start shopping for a newer used 3 series

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back