Royal Purple HMX 5w-30 VOA! VS HPS 5w-30 VOA!

Guys, the Royal Purple HMX VOA is in! Looks like the old SL formula. Completely different from HPS. A shock to Blackstone and to me as well. A TBN of 12.3 is stout. Extended drains should be doable on HMX.

Props to Blackstone labs for their excellent comments. These Guys always impress me. Excellent and fast service from Blackstone labs.

Ill post the HMX VOA first and then I will repost the HPS VOA image below for us all to compare. both oils are 5w-30

Enjoy!
thumbsup2.gif

Royal Purple HMX 5w-30 SL

Royal Purple HPS 5w-30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just as I expected it's at the upper limit for viscosity which is hard to find.

It looks like a good choice for a traditional SL high mileage oil. Add-pack seems great.

HMX oils do not have near the ZDDP that HPS oils do and the synerlec additive is nearly 4 times more in the HPS line over the HMX line.

Quote:
A shock to Blackstone and to me as well. A TBN of 12.3 is stout. Extended drains should be doable on HMX.

What matters is how the TBN holds up over time. The starting TBN may mean nothing.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What matters is how the TBN holds up over time. The starting TBN may mean nothing.

What actually determines an oil's TBN retention over time (given the same usage parameters, of course)??
21.gif

Is it the quality of the DP additive compounds used, or the actual type/class of the DP additives used (given the same content/amounts of each of the above)?
confused2.gif

The starting TBN is primarily due to the type of detergent additive selected. Retention is due to the quality and type of the anti-oxidant.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The starting TBN is primarily due to the type of detergent additive selected. Retention is due to the quality and type of the anti-oxidant.

THANKS!
thumbsup2.gif

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one. Can the RP HMX be used in an engine that doesn't have high mileage ? The viscosity is nice & thick for a 30w, along with having a nice looking add pack. Just wondering if any harm would be done from running the HMX in a non high mileage vehicle. The HMX can be found in my area for less than Mobil 1 when it goes on sale at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one. Can the RP HMX be used in an engine that doesn't have high mileage ? The viscosity is nice & thick for a 30w, along with having a nice looking add pack. Just wondering if any harm would be done from running the HMX in a non high mileage vehicle. The HMX can be found in my area for less than Mobil 1 when it goes on sale at Pep Boys.

Yes, HM oils can be used even in new vehicles; Valvoline was quoted saying this about their MaxLife oil somewhere, though I'm too lazy to look it up.

Back