Spend my $$. Camaro SS 1LE now, or save for ZL1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a weekend/fun car, and eyeing the new Camaro. I've saved about half the cost of the SS 1LE, so I'm close to my goal of only financing 20k. It would take me another 1 1/2 years to save for the ZL1. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and I'd hate to get the SS only to regret it later on wishing I'd have gotten the ZL1. But, the reality is that I'd probably never track the car (can't entirely count it out), so I'd likely never use either to their true potential, though practicality isn't really what this purchase is about. I've been daily driving a civic for 12 years, and will continue to do so. But, I really want something more fun to drive on the weekend.

Also, and less important, do y'all see any collector value in the ZL1 years from now that can help me justify it?
grin2.gif

Help me out guys. I have an empty spot in my garage. Instant gratification (2 years of saving already), or keep saving for the ZL1? What would you do?

I lean just go for the SS 1LE and get it sooner. I have a Challenger Scat pack with 485hp and especially with the slick shifting and well geared 8-spd auto, I have a hard time wanting much more power or even overall capability. I too would love to think I'd get track time but probably wont' happen. I might get into too much trouble on the street with much more car .. you may have some more wide open spaces in TX though.

My next choice for fun car might be less power and more nimble. Like a 2-series BMW. But back to you...

If you never track the car, then ZL1 is overkill.

Save some money and buy the SS without 1LE package. I doubt that you need the brembo brakes, recaro seats, magnetic suspension and the other fancy stuff.

I've been accused by friends and family, as just being an overgrown kid with too many toys. They are right...
grin.gif

I say get what you want, if you can comfortably afford it. I know that every time I've 'settled' for something, I've regretted it.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
I'm close to my goal of only financing 20k.

How much fun will it be making 4 or 5 years of payments every month, along with the interest that will cost you a significant amount on a depreciating asset?

Why not save up for another 4 or 5 years and then buy something you can actually afford? Or purchase something used and invest the money you didn't spend and become someone who is smart enough to earn interest rather than pay it?

Or is that new car smell actually worth half a decade of monthly payments?

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
What would you do?

I get far too much enjoyment out of watching my investments continue to grow, so I'd save the money. After all, there's something to be said for retiring young and never having to worry about money because you were financially smart when you were in your 30s and 40s. Of course, I wouldn't have the braggin' rights to an expensive, shiny new bauble, but that's never bothered me.

My check book is glad most of you are saying get the SS. I've been leaning that way myself since I doubt it'll get tracked, but wanted to hear the consensus around here.

If I get the SS I'll definitely get the 1LE. Just because.

And, while I appreciate the concern for my investments and financial health, that's not the advice I asked for. But, since you asked, I'm 31 have a maxed out 401k contribution with 6% employer matching, no debt besides the house and it will be paid off in 3 years thanks to 40% down and paying off the remaining balance on a 15 year mortgage in about half that time. Hence the reason it's taken me 2 years to save 20k for the car. No bragging involved. I'd just like to get back into vehicles as a hobby, and this seems like a good start.

The low-mileage ZL-1 will sell at a premium at resale, but maybe not for a longer while than you intend to keep it. Short answer is you have to keep it long enough that they become difficult to find in the low-use condition, which will be longer than most people keep a car. A broad generalization, but let's say for the sake of argument 25 years versus 10 years.

If you are going to put some typical number of miles on the car, it may matter less. Depreciation is depreciation; 50K depreciated at the same rate as 35K means a bigger loss to you.

Of course, the ZL-1 will be more fun, so maybe ask yourself why you're buying.

Wait a year or two, buy a CPO one, save big. You have a house, its always good to invest in there too, or go on a great vacation with the money saved.

Get the ZL1. You will not regret it. Have you read about it or watched any of the videos about it? Very livable car with everything need when you need it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The low-mileage ZL-1 will sell at a premium at resale, but maybe not for a longer while than you intend to keep it. Short answer is you have to keep it long enough that they become difficult to find in the low-use condition, which will be longer than most people keep a car. A broad generalization, but let's say for the sake of argument 25 years versus 10 years.

If you are going to put some typical number of miles on the car, it may matter less. Depreciation is depreciation; 50K depreciated at the same rate as 35K means a bigger loss to you.

Of course, the ZL-1 will be more fun, so maybe ask yourself why you're buying.

I doubt I keep it 25 years. More likely 10, or so.

Shoot...can't use that as justification.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Camaros are kicking butt right now. Have you considered a Corvette at all?

I honestly haven't looked into the Vette much. I like them, but there's just something about the new Camaro. It speaks to me. Lol

I will say that the C6 can be had for a very reasonable price these days.

The ZL1 got around the track as quick as the Z06. Those who have driven both say it is easier and more fun to drive.

If you can afford it and want to the wait the ZL1 is a no brainer.

Zero to sixty in 3.5 sec. 11.40 1/4 mile.

Guys have gone 10's already with Tires.

It went 7.29 around the ring that is faster than the...
'12 Mercedes SLS AMG GT
'07 Porsche 911 GT 2
'10 Porsche 911 Turbo S
'10 Audi R8 GT
And 61 other high dollar super cars that round out the top 100 around that track.

For 63,000 bucks it is one heck of a car. This is your reason to wait.
We are not talking some 4th Gen or 5th Gen Camaro. We are talking about a world class Super car destroyer.
Out of the 100 top fastest lap times on the ring the 2017 ZL1 placed 35th.
Complete list of top 100 around the ring

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm just wondering why you need justification.

Wait too long and you'll be using the money on a minivan.

Exactly. My ZL1 is a Truck and Trailer that the whole family uses...not complaining. I love family time and we all love camping but man
if things were different...Just saying.
smile.gif

Heck I won't lie. I am happy, lucky and Blessed I get to have my 11 sec Trans Am.

Get the SS 1LE.
When GM announces the next Z28 a couple of years from now, you'll be in a quandary again.
Even my 300 HP 4th-Gen is way more car than can be used effectively on the street.
You'll need to take it to the track and GET PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION on how to drive it in order to enjoy it.
I'd be happy to provide instruction. But first, I'll have to drive your car to make sure it's working OK.

Last edited:
I say buy the one you want,DRIVE IT,do not stow it away in a garage collecting dust,life is short,have fun and enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back