K and N filter for house

Status
Not open for further replies.

The intake vent of the HVAC for my house is an opening on the floor of my kitchen. Underneath the grill that is built into the floor is a large metal airbox(for lack of a better word) and then a much smaller duct going to the basement. There is a proper HVAC filter in the basement. The previous owners had put a furnace filter in the airbox just resting on the mouth of the duct under the intake grill in the kitchen floor. I believe this was done to prevent stuff from falling in there and travelling to the basement filter because that's the situation I find myself in. I don't like the idea of the HVAC having to draw through two filters. I had lifted the one in the kitchen intake while the A/C was on and there was a lot of suction. My idea was to find the cheapest furnace filter that would only catch large objects and clumps of dog fur. I have only found those paper or synthetic media ones that I feel inhibit the draw too much. I have many leftover KandN filters from various applications. Obviously they would be cleaned and NOT OILED. Should I be worried about residual chemical particulates being distributed around my house with this method? Panel type filters only from fuel injected vehicles, nothing that sat on top of a carb. Thanks for reading, I know it's not the most stimulating subject matter.

They are too restrictive. I already have one next to the furnace. I will probably have to make something that is the equivalent of a "rock catcher". Thanks for the input.

Do not use a K&N for HVAC. This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. You will coat your plenum/ducting with oil. And yes you will smell it. Use a cheapo blue/foam filter like they used to use in the old days if you want low restriction.

The best thing to do is have your AC guy install a pressure cutout that will trip when your blower sees too much restriction. Then you change your filters whenever it goes off.

Automotive filters for Automotive, house filters for homes.
eek.gif

Is it pre oiled?? If not then that shouldn't be an issue given that 555 will not oil the filter himself either. If the filter is pre oiled then it is an issue like you say.

Let me first thank the responders who read my entire post.
I will figure something out that catches all the junk that collects on the floor near the intake so it doesn't end up on the filter in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back