2014 Mazda5 UOA 5-Speed AT 50K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle is 2014 Mazda5 with 5-speed A/T, close relative of Mazda3 except not-SkyActiv. I should have got a sample at 32K miles when I did the first service but didn't. Both were just one-time drains w/o any additional work.
The FF should be Mazda type M5. The fluid I put in at 32K miles and again at 49K was Castrol Transmax (mostly Import MV although added a quart or two of the Transmax MV Full Synthetic also).
The sample below is about 55% FF and rest is Castrol based on my calcs.

Code:

Miles on unit 49,600

Miles on fluid 17,100

Sample date 4/15/2017

Fluid used Mazda M5/Castrol Transmax Import MV ATF

ELEMENTS

Aluminum 52

Chromium 0

Iron 76

Copper 125

Lead 0

Tin 6

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Molybdenum 0

Manganese 2

Titanium 0

Calcium 82

Magnesium 1

Phosphorus 225

Zinc 4

Barium 2

Antimony 0

Boron 58

Sodium 5

Silicon 17

Potassium 0

PROPERTIES

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 50.10

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.30

Flashpoint in °F N/A

Fuel % Negative

Coolant % Negative

Water % Negative

I'm curious what the 32k sample would have looked like as well. Where is all that copper coming from?

Originally Posted By: quint
I'm curious what the 32k sample would have looked like as well. Where is all that copper coming from?

Not sure. I did not upgrade the oil cooler. May be break-in type wear. At this point the ATF is 33% FF so next drain will hopefully be under 100 ppm for Cu. I'll probably stick with 15-20k mile OCI using Castrol Transmax FS M-V ATF and/or Idemitsu Type-M ATF. Both are advertised to be 100% safe for this transmission.

Loving the high'ish KV@100*c of 7.3 ....probably Castrol ATF is the oil to go to.
The platenary gear set may have bronze bush bearings,but the rather high copper ppm probably comes from cooler, I guess.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Loving the high'ish KV@100*c of 7.3 ....probably Castrol ATF is the oil to go to.
The platenary gear set may have bronze bush bearings,but the rather high copper ppm probably comes from cooler, I guess.

During this last change I poured in the rest of Castrol Transmax Import ATF and a quart or two of Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic ATF. Both are recommended for this transmission. The FS fluid has lower viscosity per Castrol:

Transmax FS
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt => 30.2
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt => 5.9

Transmax Import
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt => 36.6
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt => 8.0

So next drain will possibly have viscosity of under 7...

Last edited:
Just curious your rationale of using Castrol Transmax Full Systhetic MV ATF, which is a Low Viscosity version here ?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Just curious your rationale of using Castrol Transmax Full Systhetic MV ATF, which is a Low Viscosity version here ?
confused.gif

I ran out of Import and had several bottles of FS available. I think I just have one or two more bottles of FS left at this point.

This is close to on topic; is anyone aware of an aftermarket equivalent to Mazda ATF FZ? I purchased mine online from a Mazda dealer when I did my 60K D&F on my Skyactiv. I paid $60 for four quarts, including the shipping. I may never do it again because the fluid I drained out was super clean, but it would be nice if there was another source aside from Mazda for the fluid.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This is close to on topic; is anyone aware of an aftermarket equivalent to Mazda ATF FZ? I purchased mine online from a Mazda dealer when I did my 60K D&F on my Skyactiv. I paid $60 for four quarts, including the shipping. I may never do it again because the fluid I drained out was super clean, but it would be nice if there was another source aside from Mazda for the fluid.

I have a Valvoline MaxLife FS ATF PDS dated Jan 2017. See below...
Suitable for use in:
Allison TES 389*, C-4
Audi/VW G-055-025-A2, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-052-990-A2, G-055-005-A2, G-055-162-A6, G-055-540-A2, G-060-162-A2, G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4, ATF 3.0, 7045E, ETL 8072B
Chrysler Diamond SP-III, NAG-1, 3403 M115
Ford MERCON®* (in California use Valvoline Dex/Merc)
Ford MERCON® V*, FNR5*, XT-9-AMMF5*, (in California use Valvoline MERCON V)
Ford MERCON® SP*
MERCON® LV
GM 9986195
GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
GM Autotrak II
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1, DW1 (except in CVTs)
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP4-M, SP-IV-RR
JWS 3309
JASO 1A
KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids, Red 1
Mazda M-V, FZ
Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10, MB236.12*, MB 236.14*, MB 236.15*
Mercedes Benz NAG-1
MOPAR AS68RC ATF
Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4, M1375.6, L12108, LT 71141, ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, 3403 M115, N402, AW-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III, ATF-J3, Dia Queen ATF-PA
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, Matic-S, Matic W
Saab 93 165 147
Subaru ATF
Subaru ATF-HP
Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
Toyota WS
Volvo 1161521, 1161540, STD 1273.41, 97340
VW TL52162, LT71141
ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C

Not sure about other aftermarket products.

Last edited:
^I've seen this same list for the Valvoline stuff before but I am not convinced it is truly compatible. MV is the older fluid. FZ is supposedly a proprietary ultra low viscosity fluid that is not interchangeable with MV. I think I've possibly seen a Ravenol ATF online that claims to work, but it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I'm not generally an OEM-only kind of guy, but I've seen quite a few comments about the FZ fluid being different.

Has anyone else here used an aftermarket fluid in their Skyactiv drive for a good number of miles successfully?

Here is the Ravenol stuff. I'm not believing that there is one fluid that is compatible with both MV and FZ. I could easily be wrong, though.
Ravenol FZ

I'm not believing that there is one fluid that is compatible with both MV and FZ.

I can't provide any scientific facts to dispute... all I can say is that I've heard folks say that Mazda's Type M5, Hyundai's SP-III, etc are all something very special and only OEM fluid should be used. And then some others say that MaxLife, Transmax, etc are amazing fluids and totally work in applications they are listed to be suitable for. But another thing is that I've never had a Mazda until my Mz5. I pretty much know nothing about FZ fluid and SkyActiv transmissions. Maybe they do need something very proprietary. For my pre-SkyActiv Mazda, aftermarket fluid should work well I believe.

Perhaps posting this question in a non-analysis ATF sub-forum (if we have one) would get more responses.

Here is the Ravenol stuff. I'm not believing that there is one fluid that is compatible with both MV and FZ. I could easily be wrong, though.
Ravenol FZ

Any clue as to production/marketing of this Ravenol ATF FZ commences pre/post 2000/2006/2010 ?

All I know about the Ravenol fluid is that it's the only ATF I have found online, so far, that claims to be made for Mazda Skyactiv transmissions. I am not believing that the MaxLife stuff can be compatible with BOTH MV and FZ since FZ is specifically made as a LOW friction fluid. I haven't seen any other MV compatible fluids that claim FZ compatibility. I think it could be an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back