2017 GMC Acadia rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
This I4 is still pumping out more than the initial Cologne V6 in the heavier Gen1 Explorers.

The difference is that max torque for this I4 engine is 190 ft-lbs and it's not reached until 4,400 rpm. The 4.0 Cologne V6 had 225 ft-lbs of torque which was available at 2,400 rpm. Very different torque curves.

Also, a gen1 Explorer 4WD was actually over 100 lbs lighter than this Acadia.

Never had one of the Cologne engines, but I had a '94 Exploder 4WD with the 4.0 OHV engine and a terrible 5 speed manual, and it was a barking dog. Still liked the vehicle though, in spite of the throw out bearing detonating about 100 yds out of the driveway.

Originally Posted By: Win
This I4 is still pumping out more than the initial Cologne V6 in the heavier Gen1 Explorers.

The difference is that max torque for this I4 engine is 190 ft-lbs and it's not reached until 4,400 rpm. The 4.0 Cologne V6 had 225 ft-lbs of torque which was available at 2,400 rpm. Very different torque curves.

Never had one of the Cologne engines, but I had a '94 Exploder 4WD with the 4.0 OHV engine and a terrible 5 speed manual, and it was a barking dog. Still liked the vehicle though, in spite of the throw out bearing detonating about 100 yds out of the driveway.

The 4.0 in your 94 Explorer IS a Cologne engine...

Originally Posted By: exranger06

I thought the German engine was OHC. Mine was OHV.

edit: OK, I stand corrected. it was still a barking dog. Good off road, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The issue with the 2.4 timing chain was going too long on the oil. The OLM was recalibrated on my wife's Equinox, but I always did 3,500 mile oil changes anyways with 10W-30.

That doesn't make any sense. So the 2.4 is the only engine that gets neglected? There's not a single Honda, Ford, Mazda, etc engine that gets neglected and goes too long on oil changes? Pick any engine ever made and there are examples of that engine getting neglected. And yet most don't have TSBs for failed timing chains. The 2.4 does. What does that say?

Oh, and my sister in law ALWAYS changed the oil herself every 3-5k miles and did not follow the OLM, and she still had repeated timing chain failures.

Quattro Pete said:

I thought the German engine was OHC. Mine was OHV.

They're both Cologne engines. The SOHC was basically a modified/retrofitted OHV.

Is it still a 2008 Saturn Outlook or has GM moved away from that platform? I haven't bothered to check as this "SUV" is basically a glorified minivan/station wagon.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Is it still a 2008 Saturn Outlook or has GM moved away from that platform? I haven't bothered to check as this "SUV" is basically a glorified minivan/station wagon.

No, the new one is C1XX according to Wikipedia

C1XX[edit]
C1XX is the crossover variant of the E2XX platform, replacing the Theta Premium and Lambda platforms. It underpins the 2017 Cadillac XT5 and soon to be followed the 2017 GMC Acadia in regular wheelbase form, while the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse and 2018 Buick Enclave will utilize the long wheelbase variant.[3]

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is this the one with extremely "soft windshield" which chips if somebody looks at it wrong ?

Apparently.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Does it still have the ecotec engine that needs a new chain every 60,000 miles?
no your thinking the 2.4L ecotec, this is the new updated 2.5L ecotec.

But the optional 3.6 V6 DOES have all the timing chain problems the 2.4 had.
smirk.gif

Depends on the place of manufacture of the engine installed in that particular vehicle. The HF V6's are, or at least were, sourced from all over the world. Two otherwise identical vehicles can have HF V6's from different engine plants.

The HF V6 in our Torrent GXP was a Japanese ( Suzuki ) sourced engine. No timing chain issues. The HF V6 in my G8 has an Australian ( Holden - Fisherman's Bend ) engine. No timing chain issues.

But yeah, an I4 in a vehicle as large and heavy as these CUV's makes little sense to me, if it is to be used for any purpose other than a grocery getter. With all the hills around here, four bangers are a cruel way to go through life.

Our CRV pretty much lines up with the Acadia for hp and torque to weight ratios, and I have a slightly oversize tire on it. If you put the cruise on and never look at the tach, it actually feels fine on the highway hills as it does its thing, shifting fairly often, but never sounds obnoxious and its only got a 5spd auto.
When I drive it for fuel economy the downshifts do get annoying, but if a vehicle has an optimized top gear for flat hwy cruising, then it doesn't matter if it has a V12, it will be downshifting on the hills.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

No, the new one is C1XX according to Wikipedia

C1XX[edit]
C1XX is the crossover variant of the E2XX platform, replacing the Theta Premium and Lambda platforms. It underpins the 2017 Cadillac XT5 and soon to be followed the 2017 GMC Acadia in regular wheelbase form, while the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse and 2018 Buick Enclave will utilize the long wheelbase variant.[3]

Looks like a new platform. A boring, jacked up rental fleet-ready platform.

Is this the one with extremely "soft windshield" which chips if somebody looks at it wrong ?

Apparently.
You should have added that as a con :)

Apparently.
You should have added that as a con :)

Yes. I wrote the review before I learned of this con.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: CKN
If Acadia is upmarket, then what would be considered basic? I claim ignorance as I'm not well versed in GM offerings.

The GMC Terrain slots below the Arcadia.

I'll take the wifes 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI 3.6 over the Acadia any day.
wink.gif

+1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back