2013 malibu radiator leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
only 42,500 on girlfriends car + seeing wet on the passengers side where the plastic-nylon end tank clamps on. it not always but more lately, prolly a new radiator to replace the cheap OE one!!! malibu's sure have their issues + negative comments on the malibu forums do not post!!

Have had good luck using Spectra premium radiators when going aftermarket. You can rent a pressure tester from O'reilly.

Originally Posted By: benjy
only 42,500 on girlfriends car + seeing wet on the passengers side where the plastic-nylon end tank clamps on. it not always but more lately, prolly a new radiator to replace the cheap OE one!!! malibu's sure have their issues + negative comments on the malibu forums do not post!!
i got about 27k on my 15 Malibu, sure its not a water pump? I see a lot of them leaking.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Have had good luck using Spectra premium radiators when going aftermarket. You can rent a pressure tester from O'reilly.

Yep the spectra or denso on Rockauto. The denso is different than the AC Delco oem so I might try that

If its a weeping tank you can try squeezing the clamp ears with small vise grips to tighten it up a little, there is a gasket between the tank and core that weeps if the machine didnt put enough pressure on them.

I did one a while ago where some of them were not even bent over and weeping, they were missed completely. Once I crimped them over the weeping stopped. You can put a few GM tabs in the cooling system also, the will seal this sort of thing permanently because its not corrosion without harming or clogging the system. GM use to put them in some of the cars at the factory.

These are ginger root particles which is the only safe stop leak, the small particles roams around the system without expanding like other products that can clog and only expand in the presence of air.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-3634621-Cooling-System-Tablet/dp/B000QIH3C4

GM tabs are made by Bars Leak and are the same as these. Holts also makes one that is also sold under the Subaru name.

https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-HDC-Ra...iator+stop+leak

It should've lasted longer, might still be a warranty item? If not a new radiator can be cheap, or extremely durable. You rarely find both in the same component.

I had issues getting the factory flexing clamp, plastic radiator, and rubber hose to seal properly after removal. Had to move and wiggle it a few times till it sealed right. You positive its not something like that?

Would this car have the transmission cooler line fittings? If so, get OEM for both the radiator and lines to hopefully prevent weeping/leaks. The aftermarket radiators and OEM lines don't always match up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back