Battery Powered Grass Trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all.

I just purchased the Ryobi Grass Trimmer and a Hedge Trimmer.

I used them both and was very impressed.
This is what I bought:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40-Volt...40220/204589659
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-24-in-40-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hedge-Trimmer-RY40610A/203763427

The battery life is what concerns me so I will be following the instructions.
1) Store the battery where the temperature is below 80*F (I will keep in basement when not in use).
2) Store the battery in a 30% - 50% charged condition (I will recharge before each use).

Replacement batteries are $100 each at Home Depot.
There a robust size and have indicator lights to show condition (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%)

Has anybody else bought battery powered OPE ? ? ?
How do you like them ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

2) Store the battery in a 30% - 50% charged condition (I will recharge before each use).

I've never heard of this... how does this help?

eljefino,

I'm new to Lithium Batteries.
There not like batteries your Grand-mother used.
Although they've been around in Lap-top computers for quite awhile.

How does it help ?
Do an internet search for caring for Lithium Batteries.
A lot of technical info says the same thing on storage and care.

I take care of a family member's lawn when they go on vacation for a month during the summer. They have a battery powered Toro weed trimmer. I really like it and find that for their smaller lawn it is perfect. Less maintenance and has plenty of power. They have probably had it for 8 years or so and the battery life has been the same.

I think for this application, battery powered trimmers are perfect. There are only a few spots around their house and near a fence that need trimming, so no need for a gas powered machine or something attachment capable.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I've never heard of this... how does this help?

safety - theres that much less energy in case of an internal short circuit forming.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I take care of a family member's lawn when they go on vacation for a month during the summer. They have a battery powered Toro weed trimmer. I really like it and find that for their smaller lawn it is perfect. Less maintenance and has plenty of power. They have probably had it for 8 years or so and the battery life has been the same.

I think for this application, battery powered trimmers are perfect. There are only a few spots around their house and near a fence that need trimming, so no need for a gas powered machine or something attachment capable.

Im kind of interested in how the instant, 0rpm torque of electric motors plays in to the operation of trimmers and leaf blowers. Im not a big believer in battery powered lawn mowers, but given how efficient my gas weed trimmer is, Id suspect that should work pretty well.

I have a battery powered Ryobi weed trimmer and blower. I have owned them for over a year now and love them. Battery life is way longer than I had expected it would be. I store my batteries fully charged without any problem. I agree with the above that it is a safety concern. Liability statement most likely.

I have a Worx 32v trimmer and have been happy with it. I can't imagine going to back to gas powered for a normal sized yard in a subdivision. I also have a Kobalt battery powered blower that handles blowing off the driveway and sidewalk. It's not powerful enough to really move piles of leaves or anything though.

My Mom is 67 years old. She can't start a gas powered trimmer. She went out and bought the Stihl: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/battery-trimmers/fsa65/

She has a 3-4 acre yard with a large section of fence and a pond. There is also outbuilding to trim around.

She bought the unit, with the Fast Charger, and 2 batteries. About $500-600 OTD. She LOVES IT!!! 2 batteries can do the whole yard quit easily.

Last edited:
I am interested but have a an 1 and 1/4 with a large fence line so not sure it work as good for me. Who uses one with a bigger yard?

We have a small area that needs trimming + I already own a starter set of Ryobi one+ tools, so I wanted to buy one of these for $30 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-...2003A/203838315
but they sold out.
Luckily I found the same trimmer PLUS a battery and charger for $37 shipped on ebay - open box item. So now I've got a third battery too (these are the smaller standard ones, not the $100 batteries. Fine by me, as its a small backyard)

Has anybody else bought battery powered OPE ? ? ?
How do you like them ?

I have a Kobalt string trimmer that works great. The rest of my OPE inventory is gas powered.

40% for storage is a generic lithium battery recommendation for long term storage for battery longevity.

My experience with Ryobi batteries (the smaller 18v drill ones) is about 50/50.

I wish the quality on them were better... replacements are expensive.

Replacement batteries are $100 each at Home Depot.

I bet Batteries plus or another vendor could rebuild your battery packs to better than new for less than half that.

I've had a Echo 58v Trimmer with a 4ah battery for 1 year 7 months and just recently bought the updated 58v leaf blower kit with a 2ah battery and another charger due to my gas 4cyl blower giving me problems.

My property is on the smaller side so around a palm tree, around a raised flower bed, along the driveway, front yard ditch. There was a point I had used it every weekend for 2 months along with doing a friends yard when he was away on vacation all on the same charge. I have been impressed with it to say the least and don't see my self ever going back to gas.

The leaf blower on the other hand with the 2ah battery drains pretty fast since it's on more than a trimmer would be especially when I use the turbo mode which bumps up the blower output to 550cfm which I use to blow out the gutters and driveway. The good thing is I can swap batteries between units and they charge quickly 30mins for the 2ah and 1 hour for the 4ah battery. When I'm done with them depending on the charge level I throw them on the charger and store them fully charged until I use them again. So far they have worked great and come with a 5 year warranty to boot.

I was considering once the mower calls it quits that was given to me for free, I was considering adding the Echo mower as well to eliminate gas all together; but until then I'll use the one I have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
We have a small area that needs trimming + I already own a starter set of Ryobi one+ tools, so I wanted to buy one of these for $30 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-...2003A/203838315
but they sold out.
Luckily I found the same trimmer PLUS a battery and charger for $37 shipped on ebay - open box item. So now I've got a third battery too (these are the smaller standard ones, not the $100 batteries. Fine by me, as its a small backyard)

I managed to get that bare tool when I needed it but when I went to buy other tools, there was always some sort of package deal with batteries and / or another tool for very little more.

So I have 3 chargers, 6 batteries (5 compact), 2 drills as well as several other tools.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I managed to get that bare tool when I needed it but when I went to buy other tools, there was always some sort of package deal with batteries and / or another tool for very little more.

So I have 3 chargers, 6 batteries (5 compact), 2 drills as well as several other tools.

thumbsup2.gif

I picked up a pack that came with 2 batteries, drill, sawzall, circular saw, and light for $129 a few months back, now that's its normal price - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-...-P883/203466914
Plenty good for my light-duty use around the house. Now I have 3 batteries, and of course I thought of getting the impact wrench and other things, but for that I went corded Harbor Freight, b/c it was so much cheaper for more power.
Now I'm tempted to grab a leaf blower, though. It is nice to have one battery that swaps for so many different tools (which can be had cheap still!)

I bought a Black and Decker 40v because my neighbor has a 20v and he always said he wished it had more power and would last longer. It has six settings for power and I only need to set it at 3 around the house but I have to bump it up to to 4 or 5 on the heavy weeds in back of the garage. It sure beats having to get out a 100' cord every time I want to trim.

The only thing I don't like is it seems to vibrate more than my corded Toro. I bought some vibration gloves that do help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back