Need a Good Chainsaw <$400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I think a lot of guys but too big a chainsaw. The lighter, less powerful ones are much easier to use for a longer duration. I'd rather have a smaller saw that can still cut bigger logs than heft around a large saw all day.

While true the saw's purpose is 12"-24" hardwood. But the majority is either under 18" or only over 18" for the first few cuts. so

I decided the echo cs590 for $320 was the best for my budget.

its not terribly heavy although it is over 2# more than the echo cs 490 50cc model.

They also threw in a echo toughchest for $20.

There are a few easy mods to pump up the power abit after its broke in.. If I decide to.

I do allot of cutting and repairs on saws. If you looking for new go to a stihl dealer they are easy to work on and the smaller saws in the home owner versions aren't to pricey. All of the other brands are good saws as well. Stay away from Poulan, Homelite,Craftsman and any of the other low priced saws. There are good deals on e-bay just ask questions like compression fuel lines carb How well does it cut?
But any of the big names Stihl, Husky, Dolmar and Johnsred you can't go wrong new home owner saw well under your price range go to a dealer not a box store you can usually extend your warranty at a dealer.
Ted

Have fun! Nothing wrong with a consumer saw. I bought one from the Husky dealer, they set it up, tuned it and I bought a 6 pack of over priced 2 stroke oil for a several year extension on the warranty. Been a year now and still very happy.

Well I took the echo cs-590 down to the farm today for a few hours of cutting wasnt solid work..

Saw seems good enough to me. I used the stock chain which cut pretty good except for horizontal cuts.
I have some oregon chains that arent the "low kickback style" that cut much better for that.

Saw isnt overly heavy but if I was limbing more I would definitely have a second lighter saw.. The trees are usually tall dead trees with not too many limbs.

I thought I wiped out the chain on the 14" locust tree.. wasnt biting real good..
So I went over to some 12" cherry and it was through like normal..
Then hit a 15" sassafras and it was like balsa wood (lol)

Locust is pretty hard apparently
smile.gif

If you have experience and know how to handle a saw, ditch the anti-kick chains. Those are fine for weekend branch trimming for folks who use a saw once a year.

I find that while full chisel chain cuts faster, it dulls faster. Semi chisel chain cuts faster-longer. Don't let the chain hit the dirt. When you sharpen, also check the depth gauge. They need to be filed down as the cutters wear, so it will still bite.

They make them for .325 and .375 chains

I use this type of sharpening aid, it lets you check the depth gauge as well so you can file it with a flat file. When i am in a hurry , i just file the cutters by hand. I use the aid every now and then to keep the angles in check.

( not my pics)

IMGP8489.jpg

100_1506.JPG

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, but i flip the bar over after a few sharpenings. I really don't know if it evens bar wear, but i do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back