Which oil spec do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Yamaha FZ6R and I was looking the owners manual to see what oil was recommended and it says the following:

Engine Oil:
Recommended engine oil grade:
API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA

Does that mean I need an oil that is both, API and JASO MA? Or one or the other? If it's one or the other, which one is the better standard for better quality oil?

Also when you look at motorcycle oil, are they wall wet clutch compatible or there is spec somewhere on the bottle that means that the oil is wet clutch compatible?

All major oil brands labeled "Motorcycle" will be JASO MA or most likely MA2 and are wet clutch compatible. They may also have an API rating. SG is an old rating and you don't see that much anymore.

In a little while, there may be members chiming in to recommend disregarding the JASO MA requirement laid out by the Yamaha engineers who designed and built your engine, and use diesel oil or another automotive oil. Do not listen. Listen to Yamaha, okay?

If it is not on the list in this link, don't use it. There is a diesel oil named rotella that claims to be JASO MA compliant but it's not on this list so don't use it. These in the list below are certificated by the organization that created the JASO requirements:

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Yamalube from Yamaha is on the list, why not just use that?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
In a little while, there may be members chiming in to recommend disregarding the JASO MA requirement laid out by the Yamaha engineers who designed and built your engine, and use diesel oil or another automotive oil. Do not listen. Listen to Yamaha, okay?

If it is not on the list in this link, don't use it. There is a diesel oil named rotella that claims to be JASO MA compliant but it's not on this list so don't use it. These in the list below are certificated by the organization that created the JASO requirements:

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Yamalube from Yamaha is on the list, why not just use that?

Any evidence that Rotella T6 has damaged a bike motor? I've used it in a BMW airhead with no ill effects I can discern, and my son uses it in a Nighthawk. Of course the BMW manual doesn't say much about JASCO and the BMW bike sites don't make blanket statements about "DON'T use this oil".

Last edited:
If you are uncertain about which oil to pick you can't go wrong by following LoneRanger's comment about defaulting to the manufacturer's list. This is not to say that another oil not on the list would work just as well but the list is a sure bet.

Yamaha's reputation is excellent. In fact they design and/or build engines for other manufacturers, some that even design and build their own engines but come to Yamaha for specialty applications.

You might even consider this list even if you ride another brand's motorcycle.

I used Red Line motorcycle oil for several bikes with good results but I was not worried about the warranty. I modified the engines and voided the warranty from the start.

1999 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 with almost 90,000 miles
- -almost all of it on Super Tech 15W-40 "diesel" oil.

I can't see ANYTHING wrong with using what I use.

Good luck getting as many miles as I put on her!
That means you need to RIDE and not let it sit in the garage.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
All major oil brands labeled "Motorcycle" will be JASO MA or most likely MA2 and are wet clutch compatible. They may also have an API rating. SG is an old rating and you don't see that much anymore.

Yes if you will visit API site you will see API SG as obsolete designation...

But they made an exclusion here for the motocycles...because of ZDDP levels...P and Zn are needed here because of "shared sump"..

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...amp;type=thread

Quote:

Well, got part of the info from a table in Hot Rod magazine. So I'll fill in a few blanks wiht the approximate amounts of zinc and phos:

Grade Zinc, Phos
SM MAX 800
SL/SJ 1000-1400
SH 1000-1400
SG 1000-1400
SF 1000-1400
SE 1000-1200
SD 1000-1200
SC 1000-1200
SB 1000
SA 0

I was asking because the yamaha dealer is 3 hours away from me but walmart carries this oil and I didn't know if it was good or not.

I use an oil with no MA rating, but with other wet clutch approval(s). Both bikes are happy with it.

I'm just waiting for sunruh to show up and put a sock in this conversation.

Johnny, the Castrol oil you posted will work fine.

How much do you ride per year and how often do you plan on changing the oil?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I am planning on changing it every 3000 miles. So with just the API SG on the bottle, it meets yamaha's criteria? And it's wet clutch compatible because it says motorcycle oil on the bottle?

Originally Posted By: johnnyh55

I am planning on changing it every 3000 miles. So with just the API SG on the bottle, it meets yamaha's criteria? And it's wet clutch compatible because it says motorcycle oil on the bottle?

Yup that oil will meet all your requirements for your bike. And it should last 3k miles no problem.

There are better and more expensive oils out there, but the one you posted a pic of is more than adequate.

Yup that oil will meet all your requirements for your bike. And it should last 3k miles no problem.

There are better and more expensive oils out there, but the one you posted a pic of is more than adequate.

Is there a way for me to tell which oil is good and which isn't when I am at the store looking at all the different offerings? So I gather that if the oil has the API SG it is ok and for the wet clutch, I have to make sure that it's motorcycle specific oil?

Is there a way for me to tell which oil is good and which isn't when I am at the store looking at all the different offerings?

Browse the motorcycle used oil analysis forum here and see how various oils held up in your model or in similar bikes.

If you're at the store, you can search that forum for the specific oils you see on the shelf.

Here's where it gets confusing. Motorcycle oil doesn't carry an API rating, because there is no motorcycle spec. It may say it meets that SG spec on the bottle, but there's no API donut on the bottle. It's a trust thing. Now Rotella brand diesel oil used to say it meets the Jaso ma and ma2 spec, but as of lately they may have dropped that. You will have to decide which oil it is you want to use for your bike then read the bottle to see if it meets the older JASO ma spec for your bike. One simple thing ,change your oil.,,,

Ok so to be 100% in compliance, I would need an oil that actually states JASO MA on the bottle?

Last edited:
Ok so to be 100% in compliance, I would need an oil that actually states JASO MA on the bottle?
UNless you have verifiable information that shows wet clutch compatibility, yes.

Last edited:
Having the JASO Square like this on the back label:
DSCN2763cuts.JPG

Means the test results are reviewed by a third party (JALOS) for compliance, so there is no guess work or even trust needed. It is verified to be true. If that square is not on the bottle, it is probably fine, but you do need to take the manufacturer's word for it that it complies unless they can provide you with evidence of the product's compliance in another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back